What percentage of audiophiles use a sub ?

Since joining the site I have noticed that a lot of you don't actually use a subwoofer. I was pretty surprised by this as I could never listen to any music without some good low-end, so, curious how many do and how many don't and if not, why.
thomastrouble
I love music. The older music from the 60's and 70's with minimal bass and the newer music with great bass. I am a bass lover. I bought a stand alone home so I wouldn't bother others with bass and the volumes I still enjoy. In your face rock is still alot of fun to me. I like my internal organs to be vibrated. My speakers are Definitive tecnology BP7000sc's. Each has a 14 inch bass driver with a 1800 watt class D amp. The room is about 14 x 24 x 9. The integration blends great. What is most important is they sound great to me.
Finnman

Now that's what I call a music enthusiast - buying a home to accommodate the hobby!!! Nice one. Yes, bass makes the hair on my arms stand up too and I love it.
I have a sub and it is used for the home theater sound and effect and I try not to use it for 2 channel audio but sometimes I do.
One of the few subs on the planet I've been able to integrate properly is the MJ Acoustics 150 MKII. It has a remote control that allows me to tweak the sub as I like for a recording. From my listening position I can adjust every setting on the sub over and the adjustment is very fine. You can view what you're doing on the LED panel of the sub easily.

I've been talking with several speaker designers and suggested that they consider a crossover to limit low frequency. When it comes to room tuning and subs it would be useful be able to cut the sub off at 22hz even if it's capable 19hz output and limit issues with sympathetic vibration and other problems.

But I do like subs. If you set it up right you shouldn't even know it's there as it very gently fleshes out the sound.

Rob
I've never used a subwoofer, but I do like bass. I agree with the FAQ on the Vandersteen site that saya, "Bass is the foundation of music and conveys much of the emotion. Without bass, there is no music." This is one of the reasons I've never cared for tiny bookshelf speakers; I appreciate what Linn Kan speakers, and others of this size/type, are capable of, but they just don't provide enough low end response to satisfy me. On the other hand, as others have mentioned, successfully integrating a subwoofer into a system is not an easy task, and I'd rather give up a bit of extreme low end than suffer a disjointed lower octave.

I've always found the formerly ubiquitous 8", two-way speaker to provide sufficient bass foundation to satisfy. More important to me is having a tonal balance through the mids and highs that works with whatever bass capability is present to provide what Grado describes as warm, smooth, full-bodied, non-fatiguing and rich sound. I don't need extreme low-end extension or thump-your-gut power to get that, and as an apartment dweller, too much low-end energy could be an annoyance to the neighbors.