Can we finally put Reel to Reel out of its misery? Put it to rest people.

The format is dying and too expensive to repair properly. Heads wear out so easy and many out there are all worn.
High quality technicians are either retired or long gone. Its such an inconvenient format that can be equalled by nakamichi easily in tape decks.
Retire it please put them in museums. 
vinny55
I sold my old Teac A 5300 I purchased in S.E. Asia. I kind of miss it. I saved my 7" reels of good music and I'm thinking about getting another player for them.  It's hard to find one in great shape and repair is difficult but I may keep looking. And streaming is so easy, I'm a little spoiled, and lazy.  BTW, I really appreciate this site, I'm new at this and I've gotten some terrific advice.  Thanks all.  
At United Home Products, in Virginia, I heard several rebuilt and highly modified machines (they specialize in rebuilding Technics, Otari and Tascam machines).  They have some Tape Project pre-recorded tapes, but, their favorite use of tape machines is to make recordings from LPs.  They don't do this to preserve LPs, rather, they contend that LPs sound better after being re-recorded on tape.  I heard the comparison and I don't quite agree, although I can see why some might prefer the taped version.  The sound is smooth, open and beautiful sounding after being re-taped, but, I thought it lost a bit of dynamics and the hard edge to the initial attack of some instruments.  Still, really good pre-recorded tapes sounded terrific. 

I know that companies associated with The Tape Project also modify machines, offer better electronics, etc. (e.g., Bottlehead makes tube electronics for tape machines).  I have also heard a re-built Studer machine with custom electronics from Doshi and the tapes I heard on it were fantastic.  High speed reel tape has an open top end that is so extended without being harsh or edgy that one does not hear elsewhere.

I will never own a tape machine because of the extreme inconvenience in threading tape, rewinding, re-spooling tape when it spills, splicing breaks, etc.  It is not for me, but, I don't deny that well recorded reel to reel is something special.
What is the point of this thread? Don't you think everyone should decide for themselves what audio format they like and use? 
A format usually "dies" when there is no demand for it anymore - you can call it "audio evolution" ...
I think people want the format to die because they don’t want to make the effort to get involved with it and they don’t want their ‘audiophile status’ in question because they don’t want to go that extra mile...

and I totally understand those feelings 

I made the commitment to tape after hearing a tape-based setup at AXPONA 2018. That setup was a custom refurbished 15 ips player with a Jeff Rowland amplifier...if I am not mistaken. I had never heard anything as magical and transparent as that. It was breathtaking.

Is my setup that good. Nope! But it’s also probably 1/10 of the cost, more appropriate for my room, but provides 90%-95% of that magic.

7 1/2 and even some 3 3/4 tape can accomplish a sense of cohesion and that oh so special ‘vanishing act’ more readily than other mediums. (And by vanishing act I mean your system disappears and it feels like the air itself is producing music.)