Zu Soul Superfly

I just ordered a pair of the new Zu speakers on a whim. I was going to wait for information, but the fact that they threw in the free superfly upgrades to the first 30 people got me.

From a similar thread it sounds like some of you guys have heard the speaker despite information only being released today. I'm wondering what you can share about it?

Also, I am really hoping it works with a Firstwatt F1 amplifier. Can anyone comment as to that? I know the Druid's and Essences worked OK.
gopher
The missing bit from my previous posts was that I don't think the positioning is an issue for the bass. Prior to this week it was just fabulous. There was a lack of upper mids and that was it.

Mike
It's not my experience that Zu break-in is anything other than progressive and uni-directional. That is, it's a one-way street with no backtracking wih the singular exception of significant thermal changes.

Zu itself has had the experience of doing 200-400 hours of intense factory break-in only to ship speakers from Utah in the winter months and have them arrive sounding stiff and not broken in. Sean has contended in the past that break-in of the internal cabling (especially the dielectrics) is actually more of a factor than limbering of the driver, but cold exposure can make the driver break-in paramount. I'm in Southern California, so I probably don't have the same range of temperature swings as you, even if I left my windows and doors wide open for weeks. If nothing else changed, I have to guess this is your issue, and it will be temporary. Also, if you are using vinyl, the same thermal factors can truncate bass response of a phono cartridge, too. Assuming nothing has happened to your amplification, it seems a temporary problem associated with an environmental change that a hundred hours of any band using a large Marshall stack can overcome.

Phil
Thanks Phil,

I'm using cd so fewer issues there but you are right re: temperatures. Mine shipped Utah to UK in January and they were cold. From cold they did the Druid thing of giving you the sense of pushing air on horns, and drums were on their way to Definition levels but it took about a week before I began to think "Wow!".

Decorators went Wednesday so we've been on repeat since then and I've had the heating at ambient leveles all day this weekend. I reckon that since mid-January I've put 200 hours on during the day when I've been at work and maybe another 40 or 50 on top. It was going so well but this us a horrid shock. Like having a large transistor radio. There is bass there but even on say Night Nurse by Gregory Isaacs it is taut and recessed rather than taut, deep and powerful. I'm giving it until midweek before I panic.

Incidentally, to save me reading 11 pages of this (which I have done previously thanks) how do you get the gap to just above the width of a cd? I have no spike thread at that point. Mine are set by my dealer at just over the depth of two as there is then thread. Before anyone suggests this has an impact on bass and could explain what's happened I should say I've had four weeks of increasingly heavenly bass so it seems unlikely. It may be contributing to my lack of upper mids but the detriment to bass seemed minimal. Until Tuesday it was the best bass I've ever had.

Mike
"Incidentally, to save me reading 11 pages of this (which I have done previously thanks) how do you get the gap to just above the width of a cd?"

You do mean the width of a standard CD case, right?