VPI Turntable choices.

I am in the market again for a turntable. I am torn between the VPI HW-19Mk3 and the VPI Prime Scout. I have owned the Mk3 before, no modifications plain factory setup. I have missed it ever since I sold it for its attractive price and its ability to play vinyl so well.

My question is for those may have moved up to a Prime Scout from something like the HW-19Mk3, for the price difference, was the improvement worth the money or did you find the Mk3 comparable doing some possible upgrades?

Before I get a lot of other suggestions I really want to stick with VPI, I have always been pleased with their turntables and I know what to expect when purchasing one over the internet.

Thanks for the input

Dean

drf24
I suspect all VPI's are upgradable....re: Ginko Cloud .....it was absolutely no good for MY turntable (I like the guys at Ginko)....try replacing the feet with cones.

The Aries comes with cones as feet. Cones are couplers, not isolators. The HW-19 had a spring suspension, but lots of owners replaced the springs with either Herbies Tenderfeet or SIMS Silencers (Navcom pucks). I'll bet some are now going to try a set of IsoAcoustic GAIA, whose 1/4-20 threading matches that of the VPI spring assembly.

The Aries 1 is a definite improvement on the HW-19, having a separate 16 lb. motor pod, and a great 15 lb. lead-damped aluminum/Delrin platter. It has a cone in each corner as feet, which screw into a 1/4-20 threaded stud in the plinth. IsoAcoustic GAIA again? Even better, a set of Townshend Seismic Pods.

I still use my 30 year old MK3 with a SME 309 tonearm. After trying many tables, I still think the VPI is a great table. After changing many components over the years the MK 3 remains in my system!