Take up drums at age 56?

I know this technically has nothing to do with high end audio but I know there are some drummers here that might be able to help me along here....or tell me to skip it altogether. And it does have to do with music.

I'm almost embarrassed to even post this. I'm 56. I have never played a musical instrument other than dabbling with a harmonica. I do not read music. I am certain that I'll never perform for anyone or play in a band.

But I've always wanted to play drums.

And now I have enough money to get a simple cheap used drum kit and I have a basement that is isolated enough to not bother the neighbors. (I actually have an acquaintance who refurbishes used drums who can probably hook me up).

So I have a couple of questions:

1) Can you teach yourself to play drums? Alone or with YouTube etc? Are actual lessons required? Can I skip the practice pad and start with a kit?

2) Is there any point? In other words, even if I were to learn to play are the drums the kind of instrument that you sit down and play for your own pleasure the way you would a guitar?

My realistic expectation is that I'd get a simple kit. Try to do something with it. Find that it is much harder to do than it looks, especially for a guy with two left feet. It sits in the basement for a while and then I sell it for a big loss but hopefully at least happy that I tried it.

Any other thoughts on the matter?

(If totally inappropriate for this site I have no problem removing the post.....especially if someone points me to a better site for the topic.)

n80
I have been playing the drums for 20 years.  I have not all of the other responses in this thread, but I support you heavily and believe everyone should should contribute to the musical world.  You are not choosing to pick up a hobby.  You are choosing to be a part of something greater. 

Music is a language that speaks directly to the soul.  Music is what brought all of us here to this forum, an effort to break down any and all of the barriers that separate us from the music we love.  To be a player in that game is an honor and a thrill.  Give it some time.  You will see.  

As far as electric drums are concerned I find them great for practice, but they SIGNIFICANTLY lack the excitement and emotion of an acoustic kit.  Not even the same ballpark.  
@n80, when you feel ready to jam, look up Bandmix.com, where you can list yourself for others to find and contact.
Have at it, but, don't forget to protect your ears from excessively high sound levels.  I know a number of people who are drummers getting up in years and every one of them complains about hearing loss.
@10000_hz_legend : I've never messed with an acoustic set but I'm sure you are right. I really want one but it would be very impractical.

I think I will set myself a goal that if I become reasonably proficient on the electric set that I will get a real one.

@bdp24 : Thanks for that link. I would say that if I continue to practice most days it would still be a long time before I'd be able to play with anyone else. I noticed that the music store where I bought this kit has a bulletin board dedicated to people who want to get together and play.

@larryi : With this being an electric kit I'm using headphones only so I have control over volume. Still have to be careful though. I'm not a big headphone fan so I may look into a cheap amp that I can lay at low volumes.....or high when no one is home.

@n80  Didn't you say the music shop offers lessons? It would be a tremendous help getting started if you sat in with another drummer.

You can do rudiments on your own.