"You cannot handle the truth"

Should anybody be weary about any equipment (mostly new) that are barely used, no way near the usual break-in period, before putting it on sale?

Like, why would anybody used it for, say, 70 hours or so, then decided to sell?  It's always a red flag to me, as if it's some kind of lemon, some forgotten freight being fall off from a truck, or the equipment sounds woeful....   I would not think any legit dealer would be that casual neither.

Not to upset anybody.... would love to hear some reasonable explanations such that I don't make the wrong assumption...
bsimpson
Jetter

Lets see , kidney sold to buy The Gate.

So right about 5k right now then.....
Seriously though.

I have bought my own fair share of goodies on the way to audio nirvana only to find either they just did not gel in my system for whatever reason or in some cases they sounded just plain awful!

I do not believe in sticking with it in the hope I will come round to the sound. Nope, if it did not hit me right away out it went. Maybe not the best path but I am sure I am not alone.

I would say right now though that I am a lot closer to audio nirvana than nervosa.
@jetter : "Selling a kidney to buy audio gear, ridiculous. By the way, just out of curiousity, whats the going rate for a kidney?"

Its a sellers market but just like everything else it depends on who you know. And don't forget, you can only sell one!
Any number of reasons - someone loses their job unexpectedly, or put together a system for a significant other who suddenly isn't significant anymore, piece of equipment doesn't play well in a system even though all reviews and preliminary auditioning at other locations indicated it would, etc
I would NOT be weary. I once bought Klipsch Forte III's and immediately hated the horns (no break-in would have changed my mind) and they would never work in the room they were in.  Flipped them immediately.  I probably could have worked with the dealer, but reselling them on my own and buying something else from the dealer keeps that relationship in high regards and deeper discounts.  

I am also a "Watch" guy, and see this with watch collectors.  Heck, I have an Omega Moonwatch in the box, still with the shrink wrap on the bracelet, it has never been on my wrist, and I will most likely flip it having never worn it.  I can see how this could look like strange why would you buy something and not wear it.  (I don't mean for this to be a Humble Brag either, but there are people out there like myself who are simply fickle and/or sometimes it is about the "hunt" or a sweet deal at the time, and your mind changes.)  There are stories about guys buying Rolex Daytona's they don't really want to get a coveted/rare Patek Phillipe and vice versa to be in the "good graces" of the dealer to get priority.  Grey Market Rolex guys buy the slow moving precious metal watches-- to get priority on Stainless Steel Sport Model Rolex's...

So seeing BNIB, low hour, luxury goods like audiophile gear or watches does not phase me.