SME release new Garrard 301

Price is 12,500GBP (c.$16500)
128x128noromance
Thanks for the info Audiofun. I always turn the 301 off using the 301 on/off lever on the left, then and only then do I turn off the PSU. I can sometimes be slow as a mule mentally. I personally installed my motor unit from one plinth to my new Layers of Beauty plinth and did the wiring connections and in course of that had ample opportunity to make note of all you have explained and.....failed to note it. I have had the platter off several times and just did so again and it is clear as day that all you say is true. I had never stopped to observe the obvious. I guess my mind was on other things. My linkage works just as you and noromance describe. I can only guess that for whatever reason, the tiny felt brake engages harder than usual or the felt pad is thicker than normal because again, even my heavy brass platter stops within a second. It certainly does not make two revolutions. Oh well, I won’t worry about it. My motor unit was as minty as they come. It merely needed a light cleaning to look brand new. This all comes via the guy behind Classic Thorens/STS-who sold the motor unit to me and installed the Audiosilente idler and new brass main bearing but I believe him.
 Update on SME/Garrard 301 
Very strange. The rep does not make clear if SME intends to ever start from scratch with a new 301 or simply continue to do re-builds of old 301's. It sure seems the latter. SME must have determined that the cost of tooling up to manufacture brand new chassis and all the related parts would never result in profit. That stands to reason. 
And more puzzling-why the ugly plinth and failure to recess the motor unit in the plinth? Why suspend the motor unit and arm separately when the original engineers intended neither to be suspended? 
Granted I have not heard it in action, but on the surface (pun) the project is an utter fail imho. 
fsonicsmith:

Hi, ok based on what you are saying it appears that your brake may just be set a bit high. This should not be an issue. I was under the impression that when you turned it off a 26 lb platter came to an abrupt and immediate halt. If it takes a few seconds then your platter brake is just doing its job a little better than mine.

Your unit is probably all good!

Also I agree with your assessment of the SME guy, it is nebulous as to whether they are going to produce from scratch the 301 or get into the business of refurbishing these units.
I think from all I have read now and coming late to the conversation. I believe the table you see in the Stereophile and others sites is a Loricraft table with all the updates they do. Also if you read the new letter on SME's site they say and  they are talking about Loricraft in the previous sentence.  

“With years of experience and expert knowledge that will be crucial as SME develops the Garrard audio brand, the acquisition of Loricraft Audio was essential, as it enables the continued ability to service and maintain existing products.” added McNeilis. “We are delighted that Terry and his team will join the SME family and bring their vast experience with them.”

Develops the Garrard Audio Brand. I think that's a key statement obviously they have plans to expand and upgrade so lets wait and see. 

I'm just happy my 301 grease bearing just went up in price on the used market. well here's me hoping anyway. 

full letter here. 

https://sme.co.uk/2018/05/01/sme-limited-acquires-the-garrard-audio-brand/