Power amps into surge protector/Conditioner or DIRECT to wall? Final verdict?

Just curious. I've heard for years not to plug amp into a surge protection evice. Does this apply to a preamp as well? Are the component fuses enough? Do affordable surge protection/conditioners exist that do not effect sound quality? 
Some of the mid line Furman studio units look nice. Plus you have the SurgeX/Brick devices that look like real winners. However, I'm not wanting any sound quality issues. BUT, I don't want my equipment destroyed as well. 

Thoughts please
aberyclark
hi @Donzi

Yes, it’s called power factor correction. It’s widely available. Furman is one of the few conditioner vendors I know of who include it in some models since it helps with current delivery a tad.

The idea (my memory is rusty) with PF correction is that motors may draw current out of phase with voltage, which may make your meter read more power than you are actually drawing. Install a corrector, and your meter reading will get more accurate, and the bills will drop. You can read more here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Power_factor

There are industrial series mode surge protectors available, but I don’t know of anyone installing them in their homes. All the other tech I know of is shunt/parallel and are inactive until the surge arrives.

BTW, for this reason having an excessively good power conduction from your meter to your amp is a bad idea. You are going to be closer to the surge when it hits. A little reactance in the way will blunt it and give the whole house devices time to work. OTOH, that same reactance makes typical MOV based suppressor strips a bad idea, as the voltage during the surge will be greater when they short. For this reason I recommend:

• Whole house suppressors at the panel
  • Normal wiring
  • Series mode suppressors at the delicate electronics.

Best,
E
It doesn’t take a lot to address the noise on the Household AC lines. Anything that uses a transformer will simply deteriorate the sound quality. We’ve simplified what goes in the box so you get more out of your sound system. 
I tried running my Pass 150.8 into a Bryston BIT 20 power conditioner and got a continuous slight constant hum out of the Bryston so I moved it to a regular Isotek surge supressor and the hum disappeared.  The Bryston is essentially (I believe) just a big isolation transformer and Bryston encourages you to plug your power amps and sources both into one.  I still power my sources through the Bryston isolation transformer but the Pass goes direct via a surge supressor.

I'm currently running my 2 PS Audio M700 mono blocks into a Furman E15i with Power Factor technology.
The Schiit Freya Preamp is is plugged into the wall..
Both are on separate dedicated circuits with Oyaide AC Recepticle's (all flavors)..

Works great !!

Stanley  ,  I've read a few 
a big deal is   no piggie 
back surge protection Stay clear of it .   witch means first plug is the Best then get worse down the line.    Stay away from that style    The people in here mostly have that  one     PS Audio   most likely thay do mid fi.  jump back  1