Bought some `Vintage Gear`

On a whim and a hunch, I bought some old gear locally. 

Marantz 500 Amp
Marantz 3300 preamp
JBL L200B Speakers

The gear is 46 years be old!!!

It sounds WAY better than I thought. I had a blast tonight. Played it for wife and kids (who think this hobby is rediculous) and they were super impressed.

Anyone every had a similar experience? 

Maybe bc will get a reel to reel next

pawlowski6132
I've seen this a few times on this thread; describing sound as "Warm" or "Tubey" or "Vintage". Is that just a euphemism for rolled of highs and bloated bass?

;^)

@fasteddie99, i'll contact you separately.
FWIW, I hooked up my KEF LS50 and REL sub to to direct comparison using the Marantz 500 AMP and Marantz 3300 Preamp combo. I liked the bass from that system better and it actually sounded pretty damn close in terms of which I liked better. However, I thought the JBL speakers actually presented voices in what seemed like a more natural or "In-the-room" experience. It was noticeable to even a layman. Mids were similar. Overall nod though goes to the LBLs. 

@kosst_amojan 
The Marantz 500 had all four power capacitors replaced and the fan repaired. The VU meters aren't working (and glass/plastic is cracked) but, no impact to function.

The Marantz 3300 preamp could use a good cleaning. Pots, knobs and sliders are noisy.

JBL Speakers are good except one needs new foam/suspension replaced around the bass driver. I can buy a kit and do it myself. 

My question is, should I do this if I tend to keep the speakers ( I think yes) or, if I plan to sell, would a normal buyer want them as-is so they can decide what to do??

Damn, I love this talk of vintage gear. I still have and use a Technics SL1900b TT I bought new in '76 and a Shure V15 typeIIIG cart and several (Jelco) needles for the cart. My office rig isn't '70s gear but '80s vintage Carver. The 'old' stuff still rocks.

ray   
My office system is a Fisher 400 paired with a Harman Kardon T60-C TT and a new pair of Klipsch Heresey IIIs. Love it! It’s a bit bass heavy for my taste, but, that’s what those knobs are for right?!