I'm having a really hard time with: "Power cable reduced my soundstage"...

My good friend that is in the business and very very knowledgeable calmed that a well made 10ga power cable reduced his soundstage... I'm not saying it will or won't but why would it? I would like to know the science behind this. I did research on here but not satisfied. I had a pair of Logans and they were wonderful and I used stock power cables and the stage was crazy... I have been making cables for years ( musician ) and know the value on quality... what is the magic?
128x128captbeaver
I recall my first upgraded power cable, hooked up to my Stax headphone amp.  I was sceptical and would not pay more than $50.00 as an experiment.   I was surprised just how much benefit it gave, increased dynamics and bass in particular.  I assumed it had something to do with its greater thickness allowing more current to pass, something which would be most noticeable for peaks of volume which would explain bass and dynamics.  I mean we don't use skinny power cords in heavy duty applications.  I assume that sometimes at least, such  as for spikes in volume, our audio systems are working as heavy duty systems and need heavier cords.

However years later I still wait for any measurements to back this up or to show anything happening.  And yet there is a significant industry devoted to power cords, conditioners and the like. Surely someone has data somewhere.    

I worked with the electrical engineers, for almost 6 years as a post-doc, and I saw them regularly doing basic measurements of electrical properties. So why is the audio field so lousy about basic measurements such as power handling characteristics of cords..

Note that I don't expect data proving that humans can hear or prefer such things.  As a one-time experimental psychologist working in human perception I know how difficult it is to get clean data from messy human subjects,  and I frankly don't expect to find it in this field.    I recall in that one of the PhD. engineering students in the lab I worked in was the first person to come up with measurements of the interaural amplitude differences needed to give a sense of direction in stereo hearing. You can't get much more basic than this in the science of stereo yet this work wasn't  done until the early 1970's. However I don't believe he published these results even though he ended up as a professor at MIT.  

Of course my other main beef is the stupid "it's all in your head" type of explanation.  In this instance the problem was that a good cable gave bad results.  This is the opposite of confirmation bias so this was obviously not what the person wanted to hear. It is no kind of explanation to glibly claim that we have good science here.  We don't get too far beyond basic data in acoustics such as the stereo measurements noted above, before as one of my profs used to say, there is a lot we don't know before we don't know that. 

I just paid 60ish dollars for a 10 ga. 50 ft. Power cable for my RV... I’m not sure so please correct me that the rv’s a/c and other systems pull more juice than a A 21 running at listening volumes. 10 ga. Is a big cable.
So why is the audio field so lousy about basic measurements such as power handling characteristics of cords..
@edstrelow I know someone working with power distribution and they have very expensive measuring equiptment for checking a lot of things. The cost may stop us somewhat. You want to see if a cord affects the current/power in your home when your system is connected to it. Their end game is also a bit different than highend audio, they want to find some problems to fix them and save money (or just check that the system works) and they work with much, much higher currents and voltages.

Of course the sellers could get better at measuring things and showing that measurements for us consumers. Like: "Given this type of disturbances on your power line our cable lowers the disturbances this much".
Seeing as this tread has  deteriorated again into questions about the last four feet,  
Voodoo and the like, I have a question.
Does anyone just unplug their systems when the weather person says severe and storms in the same sentence? 

Just curious.

JD
Over the years I've upgraded interconnects, speaker cables and power cords. (Mostly Cardas at this point). To my ears, the power cords have been the hardest to hear differences. Lower noise floor, a bit smoother highs.