Newbie looking for speakers

Hello I'm new to this site.  I just picked up a Sansui 5700 receiver and a pair of Pioneer HPM 60's.  I'm having fun with the retro system.  I'm interested in serious speakers with a budget around 3000.00.  Any helpful information about speakers, pre amp, etc would be absolutely amazing.  Thank you -Joe
leverjk
I have a pair of HPM-40 that I occasionally rotate into my system and they sound OK. I suggest you give more detail on the size of your room, type of music you like, and how loud you listen to get better suggestions. With $5K or even $3K you should be able to upgrade to a system that will be exponentially better than what you have as long as your listening room can squeeze all its potential. Good luck.
Try to listen to and learn about Magneplanars, for your budget and equipment start with 1.7i's.

You can build a 50K system of electronics and still be using the 1.7i's.
@audionoobie
The only crazy thing I've read so far is proposing that you can get nice french Bordeaux for $20 ;-)
Go to a dealer or a show and hear the different type of speakers. Try to figure out the sound you like. It's better to spend some time up front with the research than buying something on a recommendation and then finding out it is not that good.