Opinions and recommendations on active loudspeakers

May need to downsize soon and this seems to be the way to go. Just want to know if anyone thinks this is also the way to go. Also would like some thoughts on which models are worth looking into. Thanks Everyone!!!!!
seadogs1
Active speakers will break your heart when the plate amp fails. Then you'll prolly have to throw it away unless you know how to repair it.
Active speakers will break your heart when the plate amp fails. Then you'll prolly have to throw it away unless you know how to repair it.

Huh? I'm not sure why one would through away amplifiers?  Why not repair them?  We have amp packs that have been running 12 hours a day for 15 years+ and still work fine.  Other than replacing dried out capacitors, they rarely go bad.  Brystons or Pass Labs or other amps that are well built don't fail but rarely.  

Brad
LoneMountain 
I haven't seen Meridian mentioned.  They have been doing active speakers for a very long time.
lonemountain:

I meant throw the speaker away unless you know how to fix the amp. There’s no issue if you’re capable of diagnosing and repairing the problem yourself.

I've had amps run forever, and had amps die young. It happens.

Also, I don't like late amps, and that's what powers powered loudspeakers. YMMV.
jburidan
Are you thinking "plate amps" are Class D amps or some design that is somehow different than a "normal" rack mount amp?  The circuit design and parts inside an ATC amp pack are identical to 3 of our stand alone Class A/B power amps, sharing a much larger power supply with active crossovers and three independent output channels (low/mid/high).   SO the only difference between our active "amp packs" and our stand alone 3 way amps (P4) is the chassis.  This is not a full range Ice Power/Hypex module stuck on the back driving a passive crossover (that's a powered speaker).

Brad
Lone Mountain