Take up drums at age 56?

I know this technically has nothing to do with high end audio but I know there are some drummers here that might be able to help me along here....or tell me to skip it altogether. And it does have to do with music.

I'm almost embarrassed to even post this. I'm 56. I have never played a musical instrument other than dabbling with a harmonica. I do not read music. I am certain that I'll never perform for anyone or play in a band.

But I've always wanted to play drums.

And now I have enough money to get a simple cheap used drum kit and I have a basement that is isolated enough to not bother the neighbors. (I actually have an acquaintance who refurbishes used drums who can probably hook me up).

So I have a couple of questions:

1) Can you teach yourself to play drums? Alone or with YouTube etc? Are actual lessons required? Can I skip the practice pad and start with a kit?

2) Is there any point? In other words, even if I were to learn to play are the drums the kind of instrument that you sit down and play for your own pleasure the way you would a guitar?

My realistic expectation is that I'd get a simple kit. Try to do something with it. Find that it is much harder to do than it looks, especially for a guy with two left feet. It sits in the basement for a while and then I sell it for a big loss but hopefully at least happy that I tried it.

Any other thoughts on the matter?

(If totally inappropriate for this site I have no problem removing the post.....especially if someone points me to a better site for the topic.)

n80
@n80 where are you located?  If near S.E. Wisconsin you are welcome to see my Roland V electronic kit.  

Don't worry about not playing with live musicians.  Put on a pair of headphones and play along with records.  They're better than anyone you're going to play with.  
My wife was understanding about it.  She's the one who surprised me with the e-kit (guessing so she didn't have to hear me play!). When I had the acoustic kit set up in the basement of our previous home, even with the windows closed she could hear me play 2 houses away!

Whenever I tell her I'm going to play she always says "just don't hurt yourself."
@n80 Which ever direction you choose to go in, just remember to have fun and don't quit your day job!

Lastly, if you are OC about audio, you'll probably be that way about your drums.  Set up, different drum heads, tuning, different cymbals, different toms, different snares, sticks, etc. it gets costly.  My advice: Keep it simple!

Enjoy the ride (pun intended),
JC