Take up drums at age 56?

I know this technically has nothing to do with high end audio but I know there are some drummers here that might be able to help me along here....or tell me to skip it altogether. And it does have to do with music.

I'm almost embarrassed to even post this. I'm 56. I have never played a musical instrument other than dabbling with a harmonica. I do not read music. I am certain that I'll never perform for anyone or play in a band.

But I've always wanted to play drums.

And now I have enough money to get a simple cheap used drum kit and I have a basement that is isolated enough to not bother the neighbors. (I actually have an acquaintance who refurbishes used drums who can probably hook me up).

So I have a couple of questions:

1) Can you teach yourself to play drums? Alone or with YouTube etc? Are actual lessons required? Can I skip the practice pad and start with a kit?

2) Is there any point? In other words, even if I were to learn to play are the drums the kind of instrument that you sit down and play for your own pleasure the way you would a guitar?

My realistic expectation is that I'd get a simple kit. Try to do something with it. Find that it is much harder to do than it looks, especially for a guy with two left feet. It sits in the basement for a while and then I sell it for a big loss but hopefully at least happy that I tried it.

Any other thoughts on the matter?

(If totally inappropriate for this site I have no problem removing the post.....especially if someone points me to a better site for the topic.)

n80
Can you start at 56?  Why not?  I mean, if you're just playing for your own enjoyment.  There is so much out on the web now that wasn't there when I was a kid, but I would suggest you start out with at least a few lessons from a local teacher.  The web stuff is great for people who already understand drums, but there is something special about having someone actually in the room with you when you start out - just to keep you from making some really bad mistakes.  Once you have an understanding of the basics, there are tons of instructional videos you can learn from. 
Also, don't listen to so called "drum gurus".  Listen to the people who played on the records.  They are the real thing.  However, a good teacher can point you in the right direction and give you the ability to understand what the people on the records were doing.  That's very important.  
Good luck and don't feel self conscious.  
Thanks for all the great replies guys. This really helps. @bdp24 I think probably my biggest hesitation would be that even if I learned to do it I don't have any way to play with other musicians. I don't even know anyone to play with. So while it sounds fun and interesting, it also seems very unlikely. Even getting proficient seems unlikely. So my immediate goal would be some level of basic proficiency and then playing along to music. Who knows where it might go from there.....but probably nowhere.

In regard to what I would like to do, admittedly one thinks of Peart, Moon, Bonham, etc and years ago that's where my fantasy was.

But now I'm actually more tuned into subtle playing. When I listen to music I often focus on drums and it is the subtle and perfectly timed transitions and quiet 'flourishes' that don't intrude into the music that impress me the most. Of course, that sort of thing is probably harder than the crashing solo type performances. My current leanings would be toward retro type R&B and even straight blues....deep blues actually.

I had only slightly entertained the idea of an electric kit. On the one hand an acoustic kit has much more appeal to me but have to admit that an electric kit would be far more practical. Does an electric kit require an amp?
No, the electronic kit has a control box that everything is plugged into but you will need headphones.  The control box is like a mini computer and you can change the sounds of any of the drums and cymbals, mine has "coaching" functions, loops of a wide variety of music, connections for external music (I use an iPad), plus an output if you want to hear yourself "live" and mine is connected to a mixer, amplifier and speakers for that purpose.  It's extremely versatile.  If you do buy an acoustic kit and plan to play in your basement then you should get some earplugs.  I'm almost certain I lost some hearing by not following that advice.  Lastly, you should go down to a music store such as Guitar Center and try out a few electronic kits before you get the acoustic kit.  Rock on!
Thanks @jc4659 . Good info.

Today at lunch I made the mistake of going by our local music store. It is not a chain store but is very large and well respected locally.

I went in to get a new harmonica. My previous two had non-functioning reeds.

I got the harmonica. Starting from scratch there. It has been years and even then I was hardly past "Mary Has a Little Lamb."

But right in the doorway was a used electric drum kit by a brand called Alesis, complete, for $450. It looks new. Know nothing about the brand but a cursory look on the web shows they have a wide range of kits, some in the $2500 dollar range. I don’t know what model this used kit was but assuming one of their lower end ones.

The tax man beat me up really bad this year so there is little cash in hand for something this silly. But, I am sorely tempted.

Edit: The model is the DM10. New about $800-1000. Gets widely mixed reviews.