Review of Mojo Audio Mystique V3 DAC

Purchased the Mystique V3 DAC months ago to replace a Naim DAC V-1.  Okay, the Naim certainly is not in the same league, but is no slouch for the money either.  The Mystique however is multiples better....and much more expensive.  Go figure.

The Mystique is set on a Quadraspire Reference X stand and has a scratched VPI DB5 Magic Brick on its head.  The DAC sounds wonderous of course.  It is fed by a Naim UnitiServe (powered by a custom external PS) through a Nordost Valhalla 1 digital cable.

In my system, I’ve never heard such resolution, dynamics, soundstage and micro-detail.  Mojo has really pulled out the stops regarding power regulation and it shows.  The soundstage is so stable and full.

All of this is fed through a Manley Neo-Classic 300B (Takatsuki tubes) preamp onto ATC 40 active floorstanders with Gaia II footers.  Decware ICs, Patrick Cullen Crossover II PCs, WireWorld Silver Eclipse 8 ICs pre>ATCs.

I just installed a Perfect Path Tecnologies The Gate, so we’ll see how that goes in addition to the other upgrades.

My therapist gave me written permission to explore my inner audiophile child.  She said it was healthy....at least that is what I heard.
celtic66

Review of Mojo Audio Mystique V3 DAC

Purchased the Mystique V3 DAC months ago to replace a Naim DAC V-1. Okay, the Naim certainly is not in the same league

Your comparing two different conversion techniques, the Mojo Mystic V3 is an R2R ladder Multibit dac. While the Naim V1 is a Delta Sigma dac.

For converting 16/44, 24/96, Redbook, PCM, DXD I’d back a well implemented R2R dac over a well implemented Delta Sigma any day.

Cheers George
thaluza,

Yes, still enjoying immensely and even more so as I've really ramped up the power clean up.  Added the Decware ZLC power conditioner and Perfect Path Technologies' The Gate.  Odd how long I've been in this game and not paid enough attention to truly clean power.

The Mystique seems to benefit terrifically from all of this.  It's one of my benchmarks regarding equipment.  If with each improvement a piece keeps up with it and performs better, I consider that a keeper.

Georgehifi,

Didn't really consider the technology differences, but appreciate the observation.  I simply recognize improvement, or not, with changes to components.  I expected a fairly large leap in resolution, impact and imaging with the upgrade and that is exactly what I received.  Thanks.
Didn’t really consider the technology differences, but appreciate the observation.
Basically Delta Sigma (single bit dsd) is good for DSD or SACD, but can only give a "facsimile" of PCM (redbook, CD, dxd, 16/44 24/96)

R2R Multibit gives "bit prefect" conversion of PCM (redbook, CD, dxd, 16/44 24/96).

From Mojo Music:
When a PCM file is played on a native DSD single-bit converter, the single-bit DAC chip has to convert the PCM to DSD in real-time. This is one of the major reasons people claim DSD sounds better than PCM, when in fact, it is just that the chip in most modern single-bit DACs do a poor job of decoding PCM.

Cheers George

I have had the Mystique V3 and the Deja Vu server for a couple years.  I have had the server for 4 years, or at least I keep upgrading the original I got from him.  Maybe even longer.

I'm very happy with what Mojo products.  I hear some great digital out there, but I find mine more real and natural than pretty much anything else I hear in the $10K to $30K.  In my setup, I feel I have a more natural and real recreation of music than pretty much all the setup I hear at friends houses.  Some friends have more punch with the Wilson / Dagostino setup, but I have better tone.

I recently had a friend bring some Add Power devices to my house.  An Electraclear and a Symphony.  He installed them and I did not let him take them home. $450 total.  They will bring even a greater sense of truth and realism to your system.  Really made my digital stand out as unmistakably close to being there .

FYI, all my router, modem, switches are on LPS.  The Switch is a Linear Solution switch.  All Cat 6 is Blue Jeans.  All power is from a 10 AWG ofc cord from my panel to a custom distribution strip I built with Porter Ports.  I am pulling away from the receptacles and now bolting the power cables together in the power strip.  I have all my gear on the same CB in my panel.  I find the power supply to equipment to be critical in getting the best from my system.

The rest of my stuff is PAP Trio 15 horn, Ampsandsound Casablanca monoblocks, First Sound Audio Paramount upgraded with all current technology.  I have some analog,  Allnic and a pretty custom TT.  My digital is much nicer and more natural, real and just alive than vinyl.  FWIW 
Owners still love the V3? Does Ben offer upgrades to match what he is doing in the next generation Mystique choices/options coming soon? Better quality chokes etc... New usb input board....

I ask because I have a V3 coming that I will compare to my Lampizator Amber 3.