New Joseph Audio Pulsar Graphene 2

Just wanted to update my prior thread where this topic may have gotten lost.  As many of you may know by now, Joseph Audio has come out with the new Pulsar Graphene 2. This new iteration of the venerable Pulsars has a graphene coated magnesium midrange-woofer cone, and the drive motor, suspension system, etc., have been revamped. From what I have been told, the upgrade is pretty significant ... the sound is fuller and has greater ease, yet is very resolved. Jeff Joseph advises that an upgrade path will be available for existing owners of the Pulsars, too. Also, note that the price quoted in the Soundstage piece was in Canadian dollars ... Jeff informs me that the price in USD is $8,999 per pair. I am eager to hear the new Pulsars.
rlb61
That would bring the total cost to $10K (i.e., $7,700 list plus $2,300 for the upgrade). Yikes! It's likely cheaper to buy a brand new pair and sell the existing ones.
If the new Pulsar2 are $9K, it depends on how much your original Pulsars generate in net cash, after the AudiogoN fee and how much of the shipping or PayPal fee you absorb.  Add shipping to JA in New York. 

I had very seriously contemplated buying second hand Josephs and decided I couldn't do it at this time, financially and for some other reasons.  Just really bad timing for me.

To take the sting out, some part of my rationalization was also adding up the cost of buying used, shipping, then shipping to JA, updating....and the cost getting ever closer to a new pair of the JA 2 speakers.   JA speakers are such eye-candy "audio jewelry" in terms of build quality and looks I do like the idea of buying pristine new speakers.

That said, I can see why it would also make sense to grab a pair of original perspectives second hand.  They are amazing speakers as they are, you get them much cheaper then new, then if you find you really love them later on when finances permit you can have the updated to the new version.

So, I can spin the idea of buying used or new either way.  But if you don't absolutely need the latest update right away and like the idea of getting a JA speaker for less money, second hand sure seems to make a lot of sense if you can find them.