Difference Between DAC Types

I’m curious if R2R ladder DACs and Delta-Sigma DACs are each better suited to certain types of music, i.e. vocals, amplified vs. non-amplified music, etc.

I’ve only owned Delta-Sigma DACs and have never heard an R2R ladder DAC. However based on reviews of some R2R products I’m considering moving in that direction but also understand there are inherent differences between the two DAC types. Not really looking for recommendations for specific DACs I should listen to of either type although that may be unavoidable to the discussion. I’m mostly intrigued by some of the online reviews for small company DACs like Border Patrol and Mhdt Labs where it’s said they can compete with much more expensive DACs.

My musical tastes are all over the board but maybe 50% rock (not hard) – folk - reggae etc. amplified music, the other made up mostly of acoustic folk, vocals, jazz and whatever else is in my library. I’d hate to move to R2R and find that female vocals are greatly improved, but at the expense of electric guitars, etc.

FWIW I’m running an AR pre, Pass amp, ATC speakers.

So, are there any distinct or unique characteristics inherent to R2R ladder DACs vs. Delta-Sigma DACs?

jaybe

@soix 

Thank you for your comments.  The prior two years we won best of sound at the CAF with GT Audio.  If you google my website or theirs, you will find links and can hear the system. 

I just want people to understand you have to compare apples to apples.  A DAC made in China with an R2R board may sound good but another R2R will probably sound much different.

Take a look at the phono stage with 16 tubes and the 6SN7 preamp.  By the end of the year we should have all of our designs established.

Happy Listening.

Both have advantages but the R2R is more musical with a more relaxed presentation where the chip is more like being in the first five rows and hearing he music.

@bigkidz -- I find this very interesting.  Are you saying the R2R had you sitting further back in the hall versus the Sabre chip?  Just curious because I much prefer a more mid-hall perspective if the music warrants. 

And BTW, 16 tubes in a phono pre?  Dude, you gots issues.  In a good way. 

I feel like I should contribute my own experience to the conversation, since it’s so different than what I’m seeing on this thread so far. I’ve been listening to both Sigma Delta and R2R DACs for something like twenty years now. When I listen, I keep track of my reactions to the music I’m listening to. What I’m looking for are goosebumps, aural thrills (eargasm, if you will) and the ability to go into a kind of meditative state that I can get to when listening. Obviously, I don’t have these experiences when listening to every song, or in every listening session, but over time I’ve had enough experience with my DACs that I can see clear patterns with them.

What I’ve found is that I have these experiences with R2R DACs, and I either don’t have these experiences with Sigma Delta DACs, or I have them very little. This has been consistent with multiple DACs of each type, and is independent of the quality of the implementation. I’ve had Sigma Delta DACs that ’sound’ relaxed and natural, but the effects on me are not the same as an R2R DAC even if it isn’t as well implemented.

I’m not entirely sure why it happens this way for me, but I suspect the sound of R2R DACs allows my body to relax in a way that I don’t experience with Sigma Delta DACs. Please note that I cannot detect which DACs have this quality from a quick listening session, or from trying to assess how natural or analog they sound. I’ve had Sigma Delta DACs that score very well in those terms, but after extended listening they just don’t bring the same experiences.

I’m mostly intrigued by some of the online reviews for small company DACs like Border Patrol and Mhdt Labs where it’s said they can compete with much more expensive DACs.

My musical tastes are all over the board but maybe 50% rock (not hard) – folk - reggae etc. amplified music, the other made up mostly of acoustic folk, vocals, jazz and whatever else is in my library. I’d hate to move to R2R and find that female vocals are greatly improved, but at the expense of electric guitars, etc.

I've had the MHDT Lab Pagoda in my system for about a year now and I've found it to be quite extraordinary with all types of music. It sounds very natural compared to my Chord Qute EX, which sounds much more forward (and not in a good way). Everyone's taste is different, of course, and my preference leans heavily toward R2R NOS. I'd say give one a try. If you don't like what you hear you should be able to sell it without incurring too much loss considering R2R DAC's are all the rage. Speaking of MHDT Lab, the Orchid has had some interest here as of late. Lots of fans of those old TDA1541 chips. Good luck with your search.

How about using a digital amp, which then would place the digital to analog conversion on your speaker? 😄