I woke up with cold ears

I've been doing a lot of critical listening, with a new amp (Luxman 507ux) and new DIY power cable. I've been trying to find an audible benefit or difference in either.

Regardless of my findings, I wanted to share something else, coincidental. I woke up, listened to music and it sounded horrible. Very tinny. Very bright. Gave up and decided to run the dishwasher instead... and guess what? The dishwasher too was too bright!

What I mean is, I was being irritated by the sound of it. To my ears that morning the dishwasher sounded like a chalk board.

What do I think I learned? That my ears are not consistent devices. That they too have their own sensitivities and behaviors which I need to take into account when listening.

erik_squires
@jtcf

You aren’t alone. The first thing I thought was “I hope Erik hasn’t developed Hyperacusis” (seems like he didn’t as he’s no longer complaining about it).

Like you I battle Hyperacusis (and tinnitus) - currently going through a very dispiriting relapse. It’s bad enough for anyone to experience it, but it really tears at the soul of an audiophile.

Can you still enjoy music?
prof,
I have tinnitus on a fairly constant basis. Some days worse than others. It took a few years, but I guess I learned to listen "around" it, if that makes any sense....
@mr_m

Absolutely.

We can learn a lot from machine learning and neural nets which can see around optical issues to detect disease.

I find myself doing this, and aghast when other audiophiles do it in ways I don’t. :) I think a lot of this is why some don’t mind horrible rooms, or are so cable sensitive.

Which then makes me wonder about how much do I want to train my own neural pathways? Do I want to reach the point where I can tell whether an IC is gold or silver? How does that make me happy? Is this a video game, where I pick up skills to collect coins?

It isn’t. At some point I have to ask how and for what purpose I want to train my ear/brain mechanisms.

Best,,
E

mr_m,

Yes, I've had bad tinnitus since the mid 90's or so.  But I mostly habituated to it long ago and it very rarely has intruded upon listening to music (except that I don't want to blast at high levels which can exacerbate it).

Hyperacusis is a whole other ballgame though.  It makes sound, reproduced sound especially like music, shrill and painful.  It becomes like the equivalent of going through the Clockwork Orange-like aversion therapy in which the very music Alex loved leaves him nauseous.

I only had rare bouts of it over the last 20 years, but I've had a huge relapse.  Been something like 8 months since I've been able to truly enjoy music :(

Coming to these forums is sort of like being an amputee habitually scratching a phantom itch on the limb he has lost.

Anyway, onward and upward....

erik,

Good that it only took a shower to return to normal :) Remember how lucky you are!

I agree about the concern of sensitizing yourself to every difference there is to hear and every distortion.  Often that's something you can't roll back once you've heard it.  Some level of ignorance can aid one's bliss.