Building the Audio Note Kit 1 SET amp...

Hi, Folks,
If anyone's interested, I've started a blog with lots of photos, documenting my ongoing build of the Audio Note Kit 1 300B SET amp. If you've ever thought of building any kit before and want to get a feel for what it's like, you're welcome to have a look!
rebbi
Rebbi,
LOL! You must have posted a few seconds after me, We made the same point. Your method is fine believe me.
Reb,

One thing worth noting is that often when a significant change is made we focus on what we hear that we did not before. how about what we heard before that we no longer hear? I suspect that once one hits a certain level of sound performance the differences may be largely what is emphasized now whereas other things were before.

Just something worth thinking about.

Regarding Coincident speakers, I will say that most of what I read about their design and specs comes from teh vendor, not an independant source doing measurements, etc. So that is another fact worth considering that in the end may or may not mean anything.

In the end, after considering all the facts, you just have to go with your gut on these things and make a call.

Its likely going to sound really good no matter what at this point.
Again, not to be defensive here, but I thought of one other example of what I want to convey.
In 1986, a year out of grad school, working full time, single and with some discretionary income burning a hole in my pocket, I went shopping for my first really good stereo. This was metro NYC, before the Internet, when there were still lots of brick and mortar stereo stores in NYC and the 'burbs.
I schlepped a copy of James Taylor's "That's Why I'm Here" LP to every audition at every store. In those days, I was fixated on a bass guitar glissando that comes in around 5 measures into the song. If it sounded like a stringed instrument and captured the whole bass guitar sound, I was impressed (which was how I ended up with a pair of the original Vandersteen 2C's).
So, I've been listening to that album for about 30 years.
Anyway, about 7 measures after the bass guitar glissando, an electric piano comes in. And the first time I heard it on the Kit 1, I grinned because the piano floated in front of the speakers and swirled around the room, which had never happened before. That's the kind of experience I'm talking about.

Mapman: What's missing? Hmmm.... good question. Low end is surprisingly powerful, especially given the rep of 300B amps, but perhaps the grip of the Manley's was a little firmer? Hard to say. That's why I'd be so curious to hear this amp on a pair of more efficient speakers that didn't make it work so hard. Other than that, not much. I mean, shoot, I was listening to something else this morning, something very familiar, that gave me the chills, that's how musically captivating it sounded.
Reb,

I didn't say it clearly but what what I meant is what is emphasized more or less in specific recordings. Specific things like you mention that you hear now and did not before, or vice versa.

The grip on the bass thing does not surprise me and is a valid thing to compare but its what effect does that and other technical differences actually have on specific recordings.

For example I have multiple amps speakers and systems. I know which one performs and sounds best in general to me, but I also know I hear different things in each case. Each system has its own unique biases that may be subtle or more. We realize what we hear currently that we like a lot faster than anything else that might be different. It usually takes time to get ones ears around everything, hence the common practice of making one change at a time and giving it some time to sink in.
One thing I've noticed about the audiophile community is the secondary nit picking of someone's obvious enthusiasm over a product. I suspect that the intentions are good but some how people can't seem to resist. Rebbi is simply thrilled and happy with his amplifier, is that hard for some to accept?

A few years ago on this site a person named Alberto wrote a review of his recently purchased Shindo Cortese amplifier. He just loved what it did for the music he enjoyed and wanted to share this experience with fellow music lovers. Sure enough after a while people began to question could it "really' be this good sounding.They wanted to know what had he compared it to reach his conclusions and on and on it went.

The guy was just happy he found an amplifier that made such beauty in his home, is that so bad? The whole point of music is to enjoy and get emotionally involved with what you hear.Alberto was a guitar player and I think like most musicians they "must' have that emotion and communication factor present or else its all a waste of time.

I guess I relate strongly to this approach rather than some cerebral analytical investigation of the sound more so than the music. Rebbi loves what this his amplifier has brought to his home system and this level of joy should be celebrated. He's hearing music at a higher and deeper level than ever before with the addition of this amplifier. That's a level some(many?) never reach.
I'm very happy for Rebbi.
Charles,