Replacing my MFA Luminescence B2 preamp

I have in the past year returned to high end audio after a ten year lapse. I just got my JC Verdier La Platine TT out, purchased a brand new ZYX Ultimate 100 mounted on a 25 year old SME V. The only other source equipment is a Wadia 16 of 1990’s (?) vintage. Amplification is through Von Gaylord / Legend Audio mono block amp.  I dug out an old pair of Morel MLP 202 bookshelf speaker. And I started playing music through my thirty year old MFA Luminescence preamp.  ( I know, It’s an eclectic mix ! )

My question has to do with the preamp. It’s a vintage piece of gear, apparently still sought after.  But I am decidedly not technically oriented. Every so often, it requires maintenance. As I write this, it is sitting in a shop, because the phono section works only in one channel. MFA Luminescence is brilliant in action, but it’s the down time that has me thinking I should move to a simpler setup. I wonder if moving to a Coincident Phono preamp might not be the answer? It fits my set up of  only two source equipments. Would it be a step down? Any other options?

please help!
ledoux1238
Regarding the power supply, what should I be looking out for.
Older filter capacitors that need replacement. If they fail, they can take the power transformer with them, which is tragic, since a part like that can be really tricky and expensive to replace!
So make sure the filter capacitors are serviced out. That preamp is old enough that there is a good chance those parts are not to spec.
Hi atmasphere,

Very good point about original parts not up spec. We'll be updating caps as you recommend.

Thanks !

FOR GOD"S SAKE, the Luminescence is one of the most sought after pieces in audio history. It’s phonostage is the stuff of legend. Call Scott Frankland, original designer. He’ll keep you in action. (408) 432-1500 [email protected]

If you want to sell it, dm me. 
Hi Joe,

My situation was clearly a case of not knowing a good. I have since been set straight, and lately by you. 

I contacted Scott many moons ago, right after my purchase. He verified that it was of the ‘B’ iteration. I may write to him as you suggest.

I  found a good guy helping with Lumi repairs. It has been trouble free so far. He has restored the ‘bypass’ switch, and I finally found the proper loading for the ZYX. Everything is good.

He did mentioned  that a direct comparison between a Lumi phono stage and a Vendetta was done in his shop years back. Vendetta won hands down. I am not looking to change, mind you. But...........In any case, Vendettas are near impossible to find. 

It's exciting to read about the MFA Lumi again.  I came close to buying one in the mid 80s from a Phoenix dealer but I just barely preferred the ARC SP-10 for its most impressive dynamics. The MFA had a bass foundation the ARC simply could not touch.

So much has improved in the 30+ years since.  Line stages and phono stages have come so far with refinements in resolution, tonal coherency and much lower noise.  I could never be satisfied with the SP-10, and the same for the MFA.  But these were atop their class at the time.

Perhaps cap updates, a new generation volume control, an IEC to support a removable power cord, would take the MFA to another level of performance.  But like the SP-10, the MFA is more of a collector's piece today than competition to preamp products of the last 10 years or so.  And I would certainly not chase down the Vendetta for the same reasons above.