I'd like to upgrade my speaker wire

I am fairly new here and still learning.  I have a Yamaha R803 receiver and Vandersteen model 1s.  I'm happy with them for now but I'd like to upgrade my speaker wire. I presently have 14 gauge wire I bought years ago at Best Buy. I need 40 feet.  I've read great reviews about Back Cat but I think 40 feet may be a little pricey for me. I'd greatly appreciate any advice on a good quality wire at a reasonable cost. Maybe under $500?   BTW,  I bought Jim Smith's book as recommended here, great advice, thanks.   Doug
128x128dwhess
Post removed 
For runs that long you really should have 10 or 12ga wire. I highly recommend some Belden cable sold by Blue Jeans. I think this would be very suitable for your system and it just happens to be cheap! Buy in bulk and terminate it yourself and you will spend less than $100, but don't let that stop you. 
I would like to know how you came up with no more than an 8 foot pair of wires for the speaker to be optimal?   My speakers are across the room from the audio rack and I have two 23 foot speaker cables going under the floor to the speakers.  Works great and sounds fantastic.  Just because you have your own opinion doesn’t mean it is right or wrong.

How do I know? Tried it both ways. Tried it many ways. Lotta other stuff too. More than you can even imagine. That's how I know.

"Works great and sounds fantastic." Compared to what? You tried it both ways? I don't think so. If you did, you would be the one guy on the planet preferred the sound of 23 feet of lamp cord to 6 feet of audiophile grade speaker cable. With that kind of experience, you should write it up. What the interweb is for. I know I would sure like to read about it.