Doing the Power Cord Thing

Hey everyone,

So as you all know, I'm a DIY kind of guy when it comes to cables and speakers. I'll be building a new power cable using affordable parts from Parts Connexion and DH Labs:

https://www.partsconnexion.com/DHLABS-75520.html

and

https://www.partsconnexion.com/CONNEX-83387.html

They'll look nice, at least! :)

Testing will occur on the very last, new, Luxman 507ux in the United States.Will I hear anything at all? Or will this be just a wasted hour and wasted $100 assembling a cable?
erik_squires
millercarbon…."This is beyond settled."...., "Just take my advice"....

I understand where Erik is coming from about enjoying and sharing his DIY projects.  What could possibly motivate you to criticize him for making a power cord?  Really weird.  You and your buddy failing over 30 years makes you the last one qualified to drag his efforts down to your level or to conclude his next attempt won't be a total success.
@erik_squires 
Erik can you please make a good cable so we can follow.  I think it's great  that you can do this.  Even if its failed attempt its still fun to DIY.  
As far as PC go, I'm fine spending 100 or 200 on a cable, but I dont have the funds to drop 1k on a single cable.  And if I needed 6 PCs that's 6k. I'd rather buy another amp. For all of us in this hobby, it's all about the wallet and some just have bigger wallets.  All my other cables are transparent.  All my PCs are the originals, which I really would like to upgrade.
When it comes to DIY cables, It’s just take bit of effort and some very basic knowledge. I have been building power cords intermittently for last 15 years. 

I started out with DH Labs bulk wire and Wattgate connectors. And those PC’s served me good for 6-7 years. Then i moved on to Furutech’s power cords and connectors. IMO, they are the best DIY power cords I have experienced.  

Another member here @grannyring has extensive experience with Duelund bulk cables. 

@pcc67,

With your budget, take a look at AudioEnvy cables. His IC’s are stupendously good. After playing with IC’s, I am about to try his powercords. At those prices and 45 days money back guarantee, why not?

http://audioenvy.com/store/
hi @ppc67 - My cable wasn't a good one? $100 DIY (on sale so original would be higher).

Here's the issue : Assuming power cables "work", they are going to be very noise and device dependent. It is possible that my amp's power supply is so good that I'll not hear a difference. How much money until I convince myself I can hear better?

If any power cables work, you'd think that going from a random personal computer cable to a shielded one from a decent brand would make a significant difference.

What if I spend $1,500 and can't hear a difference?? I don't think anyone's going to be happy.

I'm instead considering getting a PC scope so I can measure and talk about the noise coming out of the wall and the power conditioner, and amp.  I think this will be a better spend of my money and effort. :)

Best,

E
On a site I was on, some stated to use a cable that had semi conducting foil, like aluminum polyester or ferrite. But u probably already know that.