Glanz moving magnet cartridges

Hi,

I have just acquired an old Glanz G5 moving magnet cartridge. However, I cannot find out any details about this or the Glanz range or, even the company and its history.

Can anyone out there assist me in starting to piece together a full picture?

Any experiences with this or other Glanz's; web links; set up information etc would be warmly received. Surely someone knows something!

Thanks in hope
dgob
Dgob doesn't hang around here very often, if at all.   Unfortunately for the rest of us.
Dear Lew, Dgob is an real English gentleman and can as such
impossible refuse my kindly request. Besides he owns this G5
thanks to me as well lives nearby Holland. I hope he is aware
how dangerous those Serbian fighters are . Loosing the EU 
market is one thing but loosing your life one other. 

@nandric

So I inspected both styli. The stylus by 71 looks pretty
complex , more like an MC kind then usual MM kinds. The conical cantilever is pretty short with so called ’’one point suspension’’ and
tension wire which can be adjusted with an screw at the end of
the ’’stylus tube’’. The damping rubber is just behind the stylus
such that by increasing tension on the wire one can adjust the
compliance .

Please click on every link in this post.
There is NO traditional tention wire (as i can see), just look at this schematic of the construction, this illustration is for 71 (you will recognize that huge cantilever). That strange and fat alluminum cantilever is NOT SHORT, the length of the 71 cantilever is even a bit longer than Boron Cantilever of my 61. Side view on this image (61 on the left, 71 on the right). The insert is the same, but anyone can see that 71L has slightly longer cantilever than 61.

As you mentioned your sample was ’’low rider’’. This means to me that you listened to an defective Glanz. So your opinion about Glanz 71 is not very convincing. In contradistinction the 31 stylus is much more simple and without tension wire. The tube behind the cantilever looks like those by Shure. I don’t see how those can be opened in order to change the ’’rubber ring’’ assuming that there is one. Like you I think that G5 and G7 have the same stylus as 71L.

I have inspected 71L before and after suspension repair. I must say the problem was not so bad, but i decided to proceed with suspension repair anyway (cost me no more than 60 euro). The final critical test and comparison between 31L, 61 and 71L was made after my 71L has arrived from Axel (repaired, look at the sticker). The suspension was fine, but i did not noticed any improvement in sound and the cartridge was BRAND NEW (never used before, until i bought it). Actually the cartridge was burned-in with Cardas LP for a few nights. I must say my used 31L was better than NEW 71L.

Some new pictures below (from my archive):

You’re right about the stylus, the 71L has square shank stylus.
The 31L has round shank stylus.

The PH stylus on Glanz 61 is completely different comparing to all other models, the main difference is lower mass, tall diamond wich looks thinner from the front view.

I’m happy to share my pictures and information, but there is no question than none of those carts can compete with 61 model.

BTW our @halcro mentioned that his new Glanz MFG-610LX is much better than any other Glanz he has owned. The MFG-610LX and MFG-61 have more similarities than any other Glanz.
Someone will find my audiophile’s diary in the future world, not sure it will be usefull in the future, but today when Glanz cartridges available online, i believe my information will help someone to make the right choice.

This is (clockwise) Glanz MFG-61, MFG-31L, MFG-61 & 71L, MFG-61

Firs of all this is a proof that Japanese Glanz is the brand of Mitachi Corp. Here is more about MF technology invented and patended by Mitachi.

A lot of technical information in this post, all about rare Glanz Moving Flux phono cartridges (click here for the specs for MFG-51, 31, 11 and on the next page you will find MFG-71L , 71E and 51L ). As you can see the number 61 is missing in the catalog of Glanz products, because this model is completely different stand alone model.

Read about styli profiles for all types of MFG-71, 51, 31, 11
And here is a styli guide by color

This is a separate manual for the Glanz 61. I’ve owned all the best Mitachi MF cartridges, but never seen this manual for 61 until this week (thanks to a fellow collector @florence4 from Connecticut, USA).

Now please looks at the picture with all 3 types of cantilevers the MFG-61 (Boron) is in the middle, between my MFG-31L and MFG-71L. The MFG-61 is clearly the best of them all, simply amazing cartridge. All pictures taken by me here at the Shingaling studio. The rest is in the documents.

More to follow ...
@nandric

Sorry it was a broken link in my previous reply to your statement below, now the link is fixed

So I inspected both styli. The stylus by 71 looks pretty
complex , more like an MC kind then usual MM kinds. The conical cantilever is pretty short with so called ’’one point suspension’’ and
tension wire which can be adjusted with an screw at the end of
the ’’stylus tube’’. The damping rubber is just behind the stylus
such that by increasing tension on the wire one can adjust the
compliance .

So where is the tension wire on this schematic of MFG-71L ?
I can’t see a traditional tension wire that goes in line with the cantilever.
There is nothing like that on Glanz 71L