Who is your overall favorite guitarist?

At 44 years of age, I personally feel fortunate to have lived in an era along with some of the finest guitarists who have ever lived. I have always had an overwhelming love of music. As I look back to my earlier years of music appreciation (I took formal piano training for 17 years) I remember how my instructor would suggest exposing myself to the many different styles and disciplines of music.

These were such valuable words of wisdom. Considering the fact that this suggestion, more or less, forced me to be more open to musicians other than those that played in strictly rock and roll bands.

Wow, was I surprised to find that I could be as entertained by Chet Atkins and Les Paul as I could be by Ritchie Blackmore or Carlos Santana. Just think about some of the finest from our time. Jimi Hendrix, John McLaughlin, Robin Trower, Stevie Ray Vaughn, Eric Johnson, Steve Howe, Al DiMeola, the list could seem almost endless. All such incredible musicians.

Although it's very hard to pick one person or style in particular, let's remember the key words, "overall favorite".
I would probably have to say that my overall favorite would have to be Steve Morse (from Dixie Dregs fame).

Who is your favorite?
128x128buscis2
Ha, cool Fargo reference there @tostadosunidos ;-) . @dentdog may have been thinking was that Les Paul invented the electric guitar, but even that assertion would be incorrect. What Les DID invent was the multi-track tape recorder.
Gary Moore!! Come on guys, he can squeeze more emotion out of those strings than most!
Oh my ... only one overall? ... um ... Michael Bloomfield! ... no wait ... Grant Green! ... no wait ... Albert King! ... no wait ... Rory Block! ... no wait ... Duane Allman! ... now wait ... SRV!, no wait ... Never mind. 
If you are into jazz you have to mention Martin Taylor I have been to many of his concerts and what he does with a guitar has to be seen to be believed you literally would think there were three guitarists playing. The guy is a pure magician, definitely a musicians musician.

Guitar is obviously the most important instrument in Blues and Rock music. But prior to the mid-60’s, it’s primary function, it’s role in the making of Rock ’n’ Roll (as opposed to Rock), was NOT the playing of a solo. First Clapton and then Beck in The Yardbirds, then Hendrix, Clapton and Peter Green in John Mayall’s Bluesbreakers, and Page (along with many other guitarists) changed that. Their Blues-based playing (George Harrison was a Chet Atkins/Carl Perkins/Scotty Moore/James Burton influenced player, Keith Richards almost purely Chuck Berry) brought the guitar solo front-and-center, and a guitarist’s talent became at that time assessed first-and-foremost in terms of his abilities at playing a Blues-scale solo.

In 1971 I had had it with jamming, and made a considered, deliberate decision to involve myself exclusively with songwriters, singers, and musicians who were focused on the playing of superior songs. I was not alone in that; Nick Lowe was following that path in The Brinsley Schwartz Band, Richard Thompson the same in Fairport Convention (though he could and did play great solos. Not Blues-scale ones, however.), as did the guys in Fleetwood Mac after Peter Green left, Moby Grape, Spirit, Little Feat, NRBQ, and many others. In my opinion, many of them made that decision after hearing Music From Big Pink, but that’s another story ;-) .

But the influence of The Yardbirds, Cream, Hendrix, and Led Zeppelin remained overwhelming. The style of guitar playing found in the music of those artists (and those they influenced) was the new norm. I sadly watched as the departure of pianist Matthew Fisher from the great Procol Harum resulted in the guitar playing of Robin Trower shift from contributing excellent song parts to, yes, primarily playing Blues-scale solos. Procol Harum, a group whose music with Matthew Fisher had been song-focused, and those songs Classically-informed. Trower’s subsequent guitar playing turned Procol Hrum into just another white Blues-based band. What a shame.

In 1974, I was talked into jamming by a guitarist I had met. He had a nice Gibson L-5 (the guitar Jerry Miller played in Moby Grape, a fantastic instrument), so I figured how bad could he be? He was terrible. He brought along another guitarist who, while better, was just another average Blues player. I cut the jam short, and mentioned The Band, to give them an idea of the kind of work I was looking for. The second guitarist said something to the effect that he didn’t think much of Band guitarist Robbie Robertson’s playing. I started pointing out examples of what I considered great guitar playing on the Band’s albums, and all I got out of the guy was a blank stare. I then realized, the guy related only---solely---to guitar playing in terms of Blues-scale solos. All Robbie’s beautiful, musical, song-enhancing guitar parts were wasted on him. Pearls before swine.