Building the Audio Note Kit 1 SET amp...

Hi, Folks,
If anyone's interested, I've started a blog with lots of photos, documenting my ongoing build of the Audio Note Kit 1 300B SET amp. If you've ever thought of building any kit before and want to get a feel for what it's like, you're welcome to have a look!
rebbi
"The issue is the contraction and constriction of dynamics that come way before clipping."

I couldn't agree with this more and it has been my consistent impression in vast majority if not all systems using SET amplifiers. I've heard exactly two that overcame these limitations and they were both large horn systems. The real issue as best I can tell is that in most cases they are used with speakers that are WAY lacking sufficient efficiency to overcome these limitations. The bottom line is that this fact is overlooked by those that love the magic that they provide in the midrange. So in the end it is a question of what you can live with or what you can't live without. I still believe that in this case Rebbi should explore the options with the amp based on his committment and investment.
Yep limited dynamics prior to clipping is exactly what I am talking about regarding set demos that sounded ok but not great. It is like having a Ferrari and never topping 60 mph. That's the trade off I see repeatedly with just a few watts except with very high efficiency horns capable of picking up the slack.

It's about power and glory in music as opposed to beauty. I want it all!
Tube amps do soft clip which will limit the dynamics well before any clear distortion is heard. Soft clipping works well to preserve the beauty in music but also limits the impact and glory while still letting the music play. Great for acoustic music. Bad for electronica. IMHO.
The good news is Rebs room is small so full range speakers are likely not needed. The set would do very well with all kinds of music in there I bet if the speakers do not do much below 50 ha or so.
Tubegroover,
I get the strong impression that the Tekton Lore could be a very viable alternative to a large horn speaker, Based on Mikirob's real life experiences and numerous reviews available. Of course their are other strong options(Audio Note speakers, but these are more money). Let's face it, as a diverse group of audiophiles, there is going to be no universal final agreement. I wouldn't expect it any other way.

Mikirob, you and your wife are going to be in music lover's heaven with those three rooms, what a delight!
I believe Rebbi received better sound with his amp than even he expected(just a gut feeling). Okay Rebbi we're all ready to read part 2 of your listening sessions.
Charles,