Going linear - The Luxman 507ux

No one panic, but I just picked up the last Luxman 507ux in the US. About 110w/ch with power meters. 😀

Ill compare them directly with my Class Ds at home. 
erik_squires
A question for you lucky Luxman integrated owners. I need an amp and preamp for my very small room, I plan on putting floor standers in this room. It is now treated with GIK acoustic panels  and sounds rather good with my KEF LS50's monitors. 

I was thinking that to cover my bases for the floor stander I should get a preamp with DSP such as the new Anthem STR pre and maybe a Luxman amp (amongst several choices).

However, I have always been intrigued by this Luxman integrated. I even started a thread here on it even before it was released to the market. My question to you owners is, do you think I can get away with using the 509x in my room and use the tone controls to control the bass output or would DSP be the better way forward? 

If you are interested, my virtual system page has a photo of my room. I am considering 2 speakers. The Paradigm Persona 3F and the Yamaha NS 5000. The Yamaha from Canada if it does not come to the USA this summer. The NS 5000 has more low end even though it is a "bookshelf" speaker. I also tend to listen at low to medium volume since this system is in my home office.

About the 590:

I. CAN'T.LIVE.WITH.30.WATTS.

Sorry, low power class A is an entire lifestyle change I would not be willing to make.

Hi @yyzsantabarbara 
That's' a difficult question without knowing what kind of bass issues you have run into already. Honestly, Class D is really good now, if you feel DSP is a possibility, consider the Anthem integrated vs. the Luxman integrated as comparable alternatives.

Also, GIK bass and soffit traps may help, but it's best not to overdo them in a small room. Put your speakers in and listen first.

Another possibility for you is to add a sub, and put DSP in the sub channel alone.
Take what I say with a grain of salt, I haven't heard any of the equipment being discussed.

But it looks like yyzsantabarbara favors higher resolving speakers such as the LS50 and 3F, and is choosing class A for its subtle excess of warmth sound over other classes of amps.
@jetter

You make a very good point.

I have not heard a lot of Class D but I liked what I used (still own). I cannot speak for all Class D, but I will say I love the Luxman and quite happy to keep it for a long time.

I'm not at all sure he'll run into room mode issues that can't be better dealt with via room acoustics, but if he's open do DSP and Class D, maybe the Anthem integrated is worth a listen to.

Best,

E