Vintage Speaker Choice

Question for all who wish to respond. If you had a choice between identical condition (excellent) Wharfedale W40 or Large Advent what would you choose? Price similar as well. Say under 400 bucks per pair.  Thanks.
zar
I picked up a pair of John Bowers Active 1 back in the 1980's for $1100
200 watts for the drivers and 100 watts for tweeter per speaker.
As time went on I needed and found spare parts on the internet to keep them playing well.
Playing them with a Classe 5 Pre-amp and Cal Audio MK11 HDCD CD Player. Sounds terrific.

For that money, look for a pair of the late 70’s KEF Calinda or Cantata loudspeakers. As we used to say about the Large Advent, they have that "hole-in-the-middle". It wasn’t a great speaker when it was new and certainly hasn’t gotten better over time. It’s claim to fame was that with a very big power amp, you’d get a deep low end and the mid-range wasn’t offensive. Of course the mid-range lacked detail and clarity as well, hence the "hole-in-the-middle" comment.

One of the great features of these loudspeakers is that they are extremely revealing of the sonic qualities of your power amp.  Match one of them with a good tube power amp and you'll have true magic.

That vintage of KEF loudspeaker is right in the price range of what you’re looking to spend. Go to:

https://www.hifishark.com/model/kef-calinda

Have the JBL-112s for the “hard rock” and the Spica ST-60 for the classical side.  Nice mix!
The large Advents, particularly if you buy four (and you should get them @ $100 ea) stacked vertically, with the upper speaker upside down (a pseudo-Apolitto configuration) can outperform many $2000 a pair speakers.  Go for it!
I would go with Altec 604E's.  Much of the music from the 50's, 60's, and 70's were mixed using the 604.  Although not the most accurate speaker, still very listenable in the correct enclosure.