New Gallo Strata's sound like tin-cans: break-in time problem?

First time Gallo-user. Have been breaking them in according to instructions for approx 80hrs. Amp: ARCAM P49 (200 wpc in stereo mode), pre-amp Sonus Veritas Genoa, Source, ARCAM CD player (2yrs old), connections and wires all Nordost Tyr-or higher level. The new speakers are eating up the P49, I have the pre at full volume, and Strata's output is only slightly above conversation level. And, the sound I'm hearing is just like listening to the music thru tin cans. A friend commented, "these sound like mid-level television speakers".  Is all this due to incomplete break-in, poor speaker orientation, bad system combination, or.....what?  Any ideas are appreciated, as I had great hopes for these speakers.
Many thanks.
maximoam85
alltrinnov7;Thank you. Your description of set-up and impressions is very helpful.

A few questions. Did you have the system professionally installed?
Is this exclusively a theater system and if not, how do the speakers perform playing source music? Assuming the system was initially installed by you, what was your first impression> That is, did the system require extended break-in time for full sonic quality?  
Finally, what speakers did you prefer/own before the primary system you've described?

Your information will provide me substantial evidence when I ask my vendor to make his own evaluation of these speakers to determine return-ability.

-M

This system was NOT professionally installed.  Well, I'm a professional corporate finance guy but that probably does not count.  Right out of the box, the Stradas sounded great but they did sound marginally but noticeably better after a week or so of daily use.  They replaced Boston Acoustics CR-8 speakers which are very large bookshelf speakers.  Although the CR-8s are more efficient and have bigger bass drivers, the Stradas did not sound impaired in comparison.  In fact, they sounded superior in every way except bass.  A robust subwoofer easily solves that shortcoming.  The system is used 90+% for UHD Blu-ray, Netflix, and PS4 gaming and below 10% for music.  It sounds outstanding for all of the above.  As I have upgraded components, the difference has been immediately noticeable through the Stradas.  My wife and I use this system 5 or more days per week and I doubt we will ever part with the Stradas.

I don't really understand all the pro/con strata commentary in here. If this is really true: "I have the pre at full volume, and Strata's output is only slightly above conversation level," then the speakers are simply broken and should be repaired or returned. That's not a break-in problem. As usual, Al and Duke have zeroed in on the reality of the situation.
Strada 2 speakers really tickle my fancy with the Gallo Floor Stands and a pair of the Gallo TR-3d subs but it took a great deal of time and effort to work out the best placement for the Strada 2's and the subs before everything "clicked". I can understand how someone who likes the Magnepan sound might not go for the Gallos though. I'm a former Magnepan and Martin Logan owner.

I bought my Stradas and subs used and they had several hundred hours of break-in before I owned them. I use them in a 20 x 14 listening room with a 10 foot celing. 

You probably know about Mapleshade's recommendations to place the Strada 2's very low to the ground on angled wooden stands. The 6 moons review talks about using the Stradas on the Mapleshade stands both in a nearfield desktop set up and in a full room set up. I have tried the Mapleshade stands but I prefer the Gallo Floor Stands. Two TR-3d subs are best, but I've tried using just one sub and could easily live with that.

I tried the Strada 2's with some Arcam and Rotel amps that I own and they sounded pretty good but they sound fantastic with my PrimaLuna tube gear. I owned the Audience ClairAudient 1+1 speakers earlier but prefer the Strada 2 with the subs overall for the classical music I listen to most often. 

'
alltrinnov8, your description was exactly what I needed to know. The statement, " Right out of the box, the Stradas sounded great but they did sound marginally but noticeably better after a week or so of daily use" confirms my speakers are something less than normally functioning Gallos. Having read the Mapleshade recommendations, I can believe noticeable improvement is possible, but not to the extent my speakers would require to meet the performance level you have experienced. And, the recommendation for a long break-in period would seem to be additive but not fundamental. However, it is puzzling that both these speakers would have the same mechanical problem producing the same 'tin-can' sound in both at the same time.
BTW, as an audiophile, I have made it a point of life-philosophy not to disparage the sonic experiences of anyone even if they are a "corporate finance guy". All professions are equal in the realm of acoustic physics.
-M
Mark Muse has taken me to task for implying that he didn't know how Strada was spelled.  He obviously does, and I apologize.

But some of you don't.  Tsk, tsk :-)

As for the idea that I was claiming Mr. Muse said Stradas were "junk," please read it again, Mark. I was AGREEING with you where you said "Stradas are not junk by a long shot." Sorry anyway.

I had my Stradas in the same dual-sub setup as Knever after reading the same 6mooons review he did.  6moons pointed out the one downside/deficiency -- a minor response "hole" between the Stradas and the TR-3D  subs -- and while this didn't bother me at the outset and I couldn't seem to ameliorate it,  it eventually drove me back to the original (1996) Gallo Nucleus Ultimates which continue to please me greatly.