$300 for older Rotel/Outlaw or do something else?

I'm interested in easing into the Home Theater world and I'm thinking about using an older sound processor couple with three identical dual channel (120w/ch.) amplifiers to get something 5.1 up and running.

I'm leaning toward something enry level but well rated, like a Rotel RSP-1066 or Outlaw 950, both are in the $300 or less delivered range.

Is this a reasonable move or is there a better way to spend $300 these days for the same result.

I realize I won't get HDMI audio or switching, but I can output Blu-Ray video directly to the HDTV and optical out for excellent, but not lossless, audio.

Is this a reasonable plan? Thank you!
alpha220

02-25-10: Oddiofyl
The 1066 smokes any of the Outlaw preamps.
Ditto. I'm convinced that Outlaw is simply not all that. Their last two pre-pros are rebadges of Sherwood-Newcastle, the subs are co-designed by Hsu Research, and the retro receiver is nowhere near as good as similarly priced integrateds from Onkyo (A-9555), Creek, NAD, and Cambridge. The price of their amps is now as high as similar items from Parasound and Adcom.

Queefee's meandering pontification notwithstanding, your Rotel plus separate amps will give you much better clarity and dynamics than the receivers he recommended (at least, I think that's what he was trying to say). All you need is a good Blu-ray with internal processing and 5.1 or 7.1 ch. analog outputs, like the Oppo BD-83 to use that signal chain to give you lossless surround from Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD Master Audio.
"Queefee's meandering pontification notwithstanding, your Rotel plus separate amps will give you much better clarity and dynamics than the receivers he recommended (at least, I think that's what he was trying to say)" (queefee)

Um, OK. Whatever. I don't think I was being dogmatic so much. Just and opinionated from experience, really.
If you read my post, I did state/hint that separates pre/pro's - yes, like the Rotel- usually offer better dynamics and overall refinement than what you're typical reciever offer, being used as a pre. So, I don't know what you're stance is here towards my comments. I have sold all this stuff, including Rotel products, in at least 2 different AV stores over the years. But I've also personally owned several of their pieces, and installed plenty more of the product. So I'm familiar with it's capabilities, and have liked the line, as a whole. Rotel products typically offer very good dyamics, with a good overall detailed musical sound. Rotel also tends to be a bit stale sounding, and perhaps a bit dry, with pretty good midrange, but not as airy, sweat, and pristinly detailed and uncolored as better higher end, like even Macintosh, Krell, Theta's best, Meridian's smooth sound, bla bla. And yet, for mid-fi, I described it about as accurately as it is. Don't get me wrong, it's better than average mid-fi (although not as good as competing Parasound, ATI, etc), and good product, yes.
But, at the end of the day, in most all install application, considering acoustics is HUGE in terms of sonic perfomance, and all other factors considered, I simply think you'll likely end up short in terms of overall fidelity from those older tech Rotel processors. I really do. The EQ's alone are way way worth the price, compared to other sonic potential from non-eq'd systmes. My opionoin.
With my recommendations, you're processing is simply going to better, giving more detail (oh and the HK here is pretty darn detailed, musical and clear, and still pretty good dynamics)
AT least - as I said - be prepared for sonic nasties to spoil your party, if you go with that THX pre! Oh and do remember to keep that remote in hand, as you'll likely be doing roller-coasters up and down on the volume level when the sound swings - cause you probably won't have balanced sound. So prepare yourself. All I'm saying...
I also said that he can easily simply compare the Rotel to one of my recommendations by simply buying and returning, and or buying and selling. That way he can, yes, COMPARE! Cause there ARE trade-offs to consider, sure. Then you don't have to take anyone's word, and you can really learn something, by DIY!!! Hey, there's a concept.
And you don't have to take the sarcasm of the biased mid-fi junkies, either.
You can bad mouth all you want. But my 20 years of constant ontop of most of this stuff knows what's what here.
But just try compare for yourself, and you'll find out things.
You guys have been great and have provided a little humor, as well. My original post asked if buying the Rotel or Outlaw would be a "reasonable" approach to sampling the home theater world and judging by the responses and my recent experience, I'd say it is reasonable. (I will say that Queefee's suggestion of now buying a new all-in-one for comparison, is a good idea and I might just do that.)

Since I haven't kept up on the audiophile world in a long time, I forgot how passionate everyone is about equipment. All ear/brain/wallet combinations are different which explains how there can be so many right ways to go!

Regarding the Rotel, it's an attractive, easy to use unit that sounds pretty good so far. I think it's fine for my purposes. I will also note that Rotel's support seems very good. I determined that the firmware on the unit was v.2.2.2 I emailed to the support department the unit's serial number/model number and they responded right back with the year and month the unit was made, the year and month it was sold (and where) and a link for downloading the most recent firmware version, v.2.3.0. I didn't have the appropriate serial cable to perform the upgrade (DB9 to RJ45). One call to support and they shipped one right out, $7 delivered. The upgrade took one minute. Nice support.
Well if you're going to end up with some 5.1 pre/pro with older tech, and you don't care about the new codec's, EQ's, video scaling, etc, then consider the following better, more refined 5.1 AV processors on the used market, from past years:

Krell HTS 5.1 (can be found for $500 on used market)
Aragon Soundstage ($500-600 used range)
Rotel S-170 ($450 used range)
EAD Encore ($400-700 range)
Classe SSP-30 (used $400-650)
NAD S-170 ($same$)
Acurus Act 3 ($300 used)
Acurus Act 3 upgraded to Stage One ($600-750 range used)
B&K Ref 30 ($300-400)
Thule 5.1 ($300-400 used)
Cal Audio 2500 ($400 range)

All of the above are sonically much more refined than what your considering! Better overall audiphile grade performance for what they are.

Hope this helps

Hope it helps...