Question About Audio Research Preamp Specs

Hi,

I am trying to understand Audio Research terminology while looking at their product specs.

For example, for the LS28 OUTPUT IMPEDANCE, it reads "600 ohms Balanced, 300 ohms SE Main (2), 20K ohms minimum load and 2000pF maximum capacitance..."

What does the  "20K ohms minimum load" tell me?

I am running a McCormack DNA-500 and it has an input impedance of 10K Ohms. It would seem that the amp would be compatible with this preamp based on the 10X/15X minimum rule of thumb. 

My concern is that the AR spec is telling me use amps with input impedance of 20K ohms and the DNA would not work well.

Thanks for listening,

Dsper
dsper
Hi All,

Thanks for the responses.

I have a CJ 17LS2 that bumps up close to the 10X rule with the DNA-500 and I can hear the LF rolloff compared to other preamps.

Knowing that AR really wants 20K, I will look elsewhere.

Dsper

dsper
What does the "20K ohms minimum load" tell me?

As mzkmxcv stated 8 x output to input ratio is even fine.

But in this case the AR preamp would be capacitor coupled output, and the roll off in the low frequency could be too high if the partnering power amp is less than 20kohm input, with the size of the AR’s coupling cap. And so you may miss out on the low frequencies.

There are two way this can be fixed, don't get fooled into needing another preamp.  
dsper
1: If you own the AR pre, tell me the size (uF) of the output coupling cap, (it will be the big ones near each output) and what the poweramp input impedance is you want to use it with, and i’ll calculate at what low frequency it’s at -3db for you.
It’s a simple to correct if too small, with a $20 larger coupling cap, don’t go buying another preamp because of it.

2: Or you can go the other way and get the input impedance resistor (20cents) raised to 50kohm on the poweramp, if it’s fet input no problem, even a 100kohm

Cheers George
George
 Makes great sense here.
  easy to have a tech make the resistor changes on the power amp
 .sometimes I wonder if guys like Rowland and McCormick make amps input Imp so low that only their own preamps have an advantage even over great pre amps.
audioconnection
 George
Makes great sense here.
easy to have a tech make the resistor changes on the power amp
.sometimes I wonder if guys like Rowland and McCormick make amps input Imp so low that only their own preamps have an advantage even over great pre amps.

That’s more truth than fiction, we have a very good power amp maker here that has 1kohm input, and yes his preamp is 10ohms, so any other preamp sounds like **** into it but his doesn’t.
But the 1k input resistor on the amp is socketed and if removed the input becomes 68kohms, but he doesn’t advertise this, and any preamp/tube ss/or passive will drive it then.

Cheers George
1: If you own the AR pre, tell me the size (uF) of the output coupling cap, (it will be the big ones near each output) and what the poweramp input impedance is you want to use it with, and i’ll calculate at what low frequency it’s at -3db for you.
It’s a simple to correct if too small, with a $20 larger coupling cap, don’t go buying another preamp because of it.

2: Or you can go the other way and get the input impedance resistor (20cents) raised to 50kohm on the poweramp, if it’s fet input no problem, even a 100kohm

Cheers George
audioconnectionGeorge
 Makes great sense here.
  easy to have a tech make the resistor changes on the power amp.

The reason ARC didn't do this initially was simply because the larger you make a coupling cap the more coloration no matter what type of construction. Larger caps start to get considerably higher inductance so even if you have the best Teflon its still going to be an audible degradation.
A secondary reason might also have to do with space. Adding long leads to make a part fit in a place that wasn't designed for it is a good recipe for noise pickup.