Looking for a pre-amp (Pass, ARC, BAT, Sim, PS Audio)

Hello,

I would like some recommendations regarding what preamp to try in my system where I currently have a PS Audio DSD, Pass x250.8 and a pair of Focal Diva Utopias with all synergistic research interconnects. Just sold a PS Audio BHK preamp which was pretty nice, but would like something a bit faster without compromising the stage of the BHK. By-the-way, it was noticeably better having the BHK in the system then not having the preamp at all.

I am considering the ARC 5, 5SE, LS28, or the BAT VK42SE, 52SE, 33SE, or the Simadio P7, P8 Or Pass XP20, 22 next. I don’t see my-self zeroing in on any other brand/models right now.  I listen all all kind of music on Vinyl, CDs and stream Tidal.

Would you mind sharing your personal experiences with any of the above preamps (especially to contrast and compare these models/brands together). Would really appreciate any advise on which of the above preamps to go for. Thank you!
Ag insider logo xs@2xjmarshak
24 hour update:

Pass Labs recommends to have the XP22 warmed-up for 24 hours to get at close to full steady state sound.  It should be left on all the time.

So: After 24 hours of keeping XP22 on and acclimating, the sound of the system is definitely fuller and the soundstage really large. Very neutral sounding preamp with nicely extended, but controlled bass.  The mid range is well apparent and I keep hearing newly recognized nuances (threads) in every song I play.  But it's not so much that I have not heard these before, its more like they were not as prominent in the music before to warrant one to pay much attention to them.  

So, I think that the main benefit of the XP22 compared to the BHK (and It is what I was hoping for) is speed and the level of detail.  The BHK was an excellent preamp and I know that it's not fair to compare these two directly because of the price difference (also one is a hybrid while the other is a SS), but I am glad that I changed to the XP22! 

Thanks again to everyone for your inputs and recommendations!  If anyone has questions or would like more details about this pre, please message me. 

jmarshak

the Pass Labs X250.8 is a sweet power amp. Good to read that you matched a XP-22 pre-amp. Keep us posted as you massage the pre into your system.  Happy Listening!

The X250.8 is indeed excellent and its amazing how hard it is to upgrade from it, even by the more expensive Pass amps in the same .8 line up.  Feels like its Pass' sweet-spot in that line.

With regard to the XP22, I got an already broken-in unit, so I don't expect the sound to change much with time.  Again the level of detail that it puts out is remarkable.  Eventual, I'll get around to switching some cables but not for a while.  This is definitely the new centerpiece of my system.

Id also be interested to hear from others if anyone has experience pairing the X250.8 OR the XP22 with other components and what that was like.

Thanks!
Hi  jmarshak,

I just stumbled upon this post as I am looking for a pre-amp and was trying to find comparisons between the BHK and Pass. Funny enough, I also have the Focal Diva Utopia and just this past week got a Pass Labs X250.8 so I couldn't ask for better context for your comments. The only difference is I can't stretch for the XP22 but have a lead on a XP20.  I am not sure if you have heard the 20 - if so, any thoughts? BTW - the Diva's finally came alive with the 250.8. I am scrambling to sell off equipment now to fund the upgrades :)

Thanks!
Hi @llkmi  
Looks like you have an excellent dilemma!  These are all wonderful instruments.  I have not heard the XP20 in my system so I can not comment but I very much enjoyed the XP22 when I had it :).  Important to use XLR connections though.  Please feel free to pm me direct if you have any questions.