Audio Technica VM540ML v. N97xe Jico SAS

Gonna pull the trigger on a new cart/needle in the next month. Any recommendations between the 2 mentioned above?
bstatmeister
My sniff test?
Everyone knows that XSV-3000 is exactly Stanton 881s.
Never tried the XSV4000, but all 3 cartridges are very good in $300-400 range, but not top models from Stanton/Pickering.

I am not a fan of Shure, but there is a Shure ULTRA-500 series which easily goes for $1500 today. And Stanton CS-100 WOS or 981 or Pickering XSV-7500 are also superior to the earlier models. There cartridges ain’t cheap today anymore, but the best from those brands.

It depends how far you can go with a choose of vintage MM, but if you really want the best then top models only.

Nagaoka MP150 ordered and on the way. Looking forward to comparing to the 540ml over the weekend
I think you need to give the VM540ML a chance. You might be mistaking it’s very articulate and detailed presentation for brightness. What did you have the tracking force set to? Looking forward to your comparison with the Nagaoka. 
I can see why people really like the 540ML due to it's extremely detailed nature, but for me I think I prefer more warmth (full velvety mid-range and solid bass with good dynamics) even if it means it's at the expense of just a tad of detail. I just find the hyper detail to suck the musicality out of the recordings and it lost it's emotional impact. I guess I am learning more about myself and what I like  with these experiments, so that's good I guess (even if it's a bit frustrating)