Any comments on AES/EBU XLR digital cable VS. BNC Cable

I am currently using the Snake River Audio Boomslang AES/EBU XLR digital cable and an Audience USB cable from my Aurender N10 music Server to my SimAudio DAC.   Most of my listening is done using the AES/EBU cable since it sounds slightly better.

I am considering the BNC cable if it offers an improved sound quality.   

Has anyone compared the AES/EBU XLR digital cable VS. BNC Cable and have a recommendation?  Or, comments?  Thanks.  

hgeifman
@hgeifman,

I don’t think you stand to gain any improvement through a BNC cable vs. AES/EBU. Both AES and S/PDIF outputs on your N10 are governed by oven-controlled crystal oscillator (OCXO) clock, which determines the intervals at which information is sent to the DAC. The N10’s clock solves the problem of jittery S/PDIF outputs, which can cause a phasey effect that blurs the soundstage and results in a less precise image.

You already said, AES output sound better over USB, which means OCXO clock in your N10 is better than the master clock in your DAC.

Just continue to enjoy your great setup. 

@lalitk, Thank you for the information in the above post.  It is appreciated and I will take your advice.   I will make no cable changes and will continue to listen using my AES/EBU cable.    

Although @lalitk's comments are wholly reasonable, the variability of quality of digital inputs is going to be DAC by DAC. Having established the N10 AES sounds better (as the master clock) than the Simaudio USB isn't the same thing as saying that AES > BNC.

IME, I've always found (correct impedance coaxial cable and correct 75ohm impedance connectors) BNC to be superior to RCA SPDIF, though I don't think that's very controversial anymore.

It wouldn't be too expensive to get or DIY a decent BNC cable and compare them, you never know - you might get a few more degrees like you did AES > USB.
SimAudio reports “The BNC connection is using the SPDIF path like the coax and optical, so AES/EBU is still the best sounding digital input for the SimAudio 380D DSD DAC”.  

I am keeping my AES/EBU connections.  Thanks.  

For my Berkeley Alpha DAC, which I mostly use direct-to-amp, the manufacturer recommends AES on XLR over S/PDIF on BNC. For Berkeley Audio Designs, the crucial difference seems to be the fact that the voltage output of the AES standard (5 Vrms) is ten times that of the S/PDIF standard (0.5 Vrms) and this yields, or can yield, superior performance. . .