Buy LED, LCD or Plasma

Going for a new TV. Any hints, warnings or advice? It will go over the fireplace instead of the rug there now.
128x128Ag insider logo xs@2xalbertporter
Jylee-

My plasma set (panasonic P50S1) has no buzz to it. I have heard anecdotally of some Samsung sets that have a buzz.

It does have some very quiet fan noise but you have to be right next to the set to hear it.

Mark
Albert, hope you enjoy your Panasonic plasma. I bought one a year ago now and really love it. I would strongly recommend that you have it professionally calibrated after the first two hundred hours of viewing. I could not believe the difference this made, and I paid close attention so I could do it again myself now if I want to tweak it in the future.

Kijanki, the viewing distance charts are important if only because they make the viewing so much easier on your eyes. I was skeptical of this until I experienced the difference myself. I have a 50" that I sit about 8 to 9 feet away from, so I am at the minimum end of the guideline, but I can't believe how much easier the bigger screen is on the eyes.

Plasma was the choice for me over LCD for several reasons - most important, they have MUCH better blacks, and I watch alot of art films and classic films so this is important to me. Also, the picture looks correct no matter what angle you are sitting at, unlike LCD's, where you have to be centered to the picture for it to look correct. I also watch alot of soccer and basketball, and these quick moving sports look much better on plasmas than on LCD's. Don't remember the technical reason for this, though it was explained to me at one point. Basically, the only disadvantage is they do use more power. In every other respect, I find them superior to LCD. I don't ever have the problem of light shining directly on it, though even if you did, you can have it calibrated one way during the daytime, and another way at night, so this is not really an issue.
Learsfool - I only questioned post that stated 80" min. size for 20' distance. There is nothing wrong with smaller size if 80" is not available or doesn't fit above fireplace. 60" is good size (and above it price goes up really fast).
Learsfool, you summed up nicely what convinced me to go for the Panasonic 65". That and I cannot justify several thousand dollars more for the Pioneer, even if it is better.

I'm really a two channel audio guy, the TV is for my wife and when I watch I want it to be good, but perfection is not required. At $2295.00 for the 65" Panasonic it's a good deal and I got the Sencore pro calibration in a package with it. The TV is installed Monday and they come back to calibrate 4 weeks later after it's settled in.

My only fear is the built in speakers will probably struggle to fill my space. The Panasonic TC-P65S1 has only one optical digital sound output and I don't know yet if that's controlled (like built in speakers) via remote.

If the optical is controlled at the same time as the remote, I can run a digital Coax to an amp and power my in wall speakers.