Thiel Owners

Guys-

I just scored a sweet pair of CS 2.4SE loudspeakers. Anyone else currently or previously owned this model?
Owners of the CS 2.4 or CS 2.7 are free to chime in as well. Thiel are excellent w/ both tubed or solid-state gear!

Keep me posted & Happy Listening!
jafant
I agree, Thiel end is a real crime against the meaning that Tom Thiel expressed and summarized so well two posts above mine. I became a Thiel owner (cs 3.6) only around one year ago and love so much what I can hear, the whole Thiel's history, the unbelievable professional approach to every single detail of the project that to me doesn't matter if Thiel company is no more, doesn't matter if the genuine spare drivers start to be hard to find. Hard but not impossible, recently I bought a complete new set from Rob Gillum and due to the fact that I live in Italy it costed me also a big amount for the shipping and customs, but my aim is to preserve the soul of this wonderful loudspeaker as Jim and all his staff intended to be. It's a piece of artwork, not easy to replicate, who nowadys is able to offer this kind of knowledge? Which company do invest so much to develop  custom drivers as Thiel did?(for this reason I bought a genuine full set as spare, because similar are not the same , specially with first order XO design). So, thank you America, americans, doing this. I also appreciate some our good italian loudspeakers maker, for sure ,excellence has no boundaries.
replacement parts are pretty much nonexistent

Not quite that bad. Some parts yes, some no. In the case of my CS2.4, Rob Gillum said replacement drivers are not available but he can rebuild broken ones. And he does have some drivers for a few models. He did supply some of the coils used in my new crossover build. Sounds like that 3.5 midrange, however, is a conundrum. 
Regarding differences between Thiels and Vandys, I only had brief demos of vandy 3’s, 5’s and my newly acquired CS5’s.
my impression was the vandys offered a wider sweet spot but the Thiels have greater clarity. Granted I only have theThiels a short time so I am still moving them around getting to know how they react in my room.
from a design perspective, I read Richard Hardesty’s journals and it seems both Thiel and Vandy pursue the most measurably flat responses. So in short showroom listening sessions some  people may opt for other manufacturers non flat responses because they may simply sound exciting ( read: as if the loudness button was pushed on an old 70’s receiver).
other differences I noticed between Thiel/Vandy is that on some models  Thiels went the coax route to get single point Source while Vandy went open air mid/tweeter to give some openness (if that’s a word).
i don’t see that Thiel ever applied a rear firing tweeter nor incorporated any of the adjustment mechanisms Vandy used ( settings for rear firing tweeter, multi step equalizer for bass on the Quatros, 5’s). Whoops, just noticed thiel 3.5 have Bass equalizers.
on the note of rear firing tweeter, I don’t get it. Here I am taping blankets to the wall behind the speakers trying to eliminate everything other than what is coming from the front of the speakers To tighten the imaging. So why throw the highest notes ( shortest wave that dies most easily) against the back wall ? 
I remember the 70’s Bose speakers that were meant to fire most of their output against a wall to give a wall of sound, hated the way those sounded, like listening to music coming from a neighbors apartment.
jackskyexcellent points of view on the whole Thiel/Vandy conversation.I thought that a Vandy 3A Signature was closest, not better than, the CS 2.4 model.  Never heard the 5/5A. I did demo the Quattro and Treo but could not get into thier presentation/sound?  Happy Listening!
silvanikThank You for sharing your experience and support with Rob Gillum.It never is a poor decision to have a spare set of back-up drivers. Salute.

Happy Listening!