Not Enjoying My Turntable

I purchased a u-turn orbit plus six months back to get into the experience of vinyl and collecting again. So far I have enjoyed the process of album buying and the tactile experience of vinyl. However, I just am not happy with the sound. Generally I have always enjoyed playing music with the treble turned up. Maybe because of some hearing loss I don't know. Also, I have had some problems with the turntable. The needle skips and to me the sound is muffled.

I am sure I could fix some of these problems with a equalizer and some troubleshooting with the turntable but am I just chasing the dragon here? In short am I doing something wrong.
128x128brimel1974
My advice is to forget about analogue.  Start with as good as a CD player as you can afford, then get a good-to-great DAC, and subscribe to Tidal Hifi.  Otherwise, you are wasting you money.  
I sure hope the OP realizes Elizabeth is kidding about the vacuum cleaner. Everyone knows you clean records with a pressure washer.
Are some posts fake? I mean were they created just to get people to engage?  So that the forum appears to have value?
I have seen many posts similar to this one.  OP was on Feb 22nd. Many people have taken their time to post a response and even to ask the OP some questions. But no response.
Times have sure changed. Medical clinics have converted to disposable instruments and are getting rid of their autoclaves.  I was able to get one for less than $2 grand!   I can just fit a 12-inch record in it (leaning it on a slant so that both sides are exposed to the effects).  Awesome.  
I have VPI Scout with Ortofon 2m black going into a Decware all tube phono pre, then to Parasound separates or even Marantz separates if I move the interconnects. It's not Mac equipment by any means, but it's good enough for me and about all I can afford or want to spend on gear. That said I can a/b to death playing an LP and a 4 year old iPad playing Spotify going to a 50 dollar blue tooth receiver connected to the Parasound. No diffidence in sound, absolutely none!  At best vinyl sounds as good, but for me it doesn't blow away cd or even streaming. But I do like all that is involved in playing vinyl so take it for what its worth.