Tonearms with no anti-skate adjustment

I am in recent possession of a Grace 704 uni-pivot tonearm, which has no anti-skate adjustment. This is not optimal IMO, but should I really be worried?
128x128jdjohn
Not based on what you’ve said so far, no.

The one way to be sure is by listening for mistracking. Specifically, mistracking much more often in one channel than another. Occasional mistracking in one channel or the other you can disregard, at least as far as anti-skate is concerned. But the purpose of anti-skate is to equalize stylus force side to side.

Anti-skate pulls the arm to the outside, away from the spindle. The side of the record groove closest to the spindle carries the left channel. If you’re hearing much more mistracking in the left channel then it means you have too much anti-skate. If you hear mistracking more in the right channel then stylus isn’t pressing against the outside enough and you need more anti-skate.

That’s how you tell. And contrary to what you will probably hear there is no one right level of anti-skating to set. That is because the force anti-skating is intended to counteract varies across the record, and varies by how modulated the grooves are (loud passages) and varies by tracking force.

Even if you do hear a little breakup in one channel that is still not decisive, for all the above factors. You need to pay attention and determine if there’s a consistent pattern.

Anti-skate is like most things analog imperfect and a matter of trade-offs. Some we get to make. Some the designer. You see which way the designer of your arm went. Are you sure you want to be second-guessing him? Based on Audiogoners advice?

I wouldn’t. I would listen to my rig. Let my own ears decide.

Anti-skate - not important! I can never tell when the mechanism is engaged or not!
Hard to answer the question. Play the records and you will hear. Theoretically speaking, this is not a good idea not to have it, I think.
Seems you might be missing the same part the thread below identifies a similar issue...
http://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/grace-tone-arm-anti-skate-set-up-question.356558/

Anti-skate is reqired to counter the effect of the "drag" the stylus/cartridge exerts on the arm while playing a track.
- Things can change if the cartridge, or even stylus-type is changed.

Even which track is selected sometimes has an impact, but with a mono recording this is rarely the case

Other impacts are
- the amount of friction the arm pivot bearing produces
- how good the actual anti-skate device on the arm is designed and operates.

Well designed/built arms tend to have very effective Anti-skate designs and their low friction pivot bearings tend to make them much more sensitive to anti-skate adjustment, in which case it is best to get it right.

I’ve had arms where anti-skate made little to no difference - but my Audomods arm/Cartridge combo is very sensitive and has an excellent anti-skate device that even counters the changes in drag that occur as the cartridge approaches the center of the album.

The easiest method to test ant-skate is to play an album that has been recorded in Mono.
- You should hear a centralized image, which may move left and right as you adjust the anti-skate.

You can also go "high-tech" with test records and a meter to measure output voltage of each channel

Personally - i trust my ears and use the mono-recording method
- if the image is "relatively" central you probably have little to worry about.

Regards - Steve