Not Enjoying My Turntable

I purchased a u-turn orbit plus six months back to get into the experience of vinyl and collecting again. So far I have enjoyed the process of album buying and the tactile experience of vinyl. However, I just am not happy with the sound. Generally I have always enjoyed playing music with the treble turned up. Maybe because of some hearing loss I don't know. Also, I have had some problems with the turntable. The needle skips and to me the sound is muffled.

I am sure I could fix some of these problems with a equalizer and some troubleshooting with the turntable but am I just chasing the dragon here? In short am I doing something wrong.
128x128brimel1974
If your cartridge skips look at the needle tip for dust, you need $10 Carbon Fibre Brush to clean your record surface on the platter each time before you will play it. To clean the stylus tip you need THIS 

are you using the phono preamp built into the table, or an external preamp?  Also, as stated above, it sounds like the geometry might be off on the cartridge set up.  Is the phono preamp set correctly for the cartridge?

What's the rest of the system?  Are  you comparing apples to apples for sound, or do you have a $5k digital set up, and comparing it to a sub $400 vinyl rig?
Sell the analog stuff ....get the best level of Tidal streaming. Boom ! highs come back.

Maybe ask an hi-fi enthusiast friend to help you set up your record player.  The skipping and the muffled sound may have different causes that are not obviously unless someone takes a look at your setup physically.  Just have some beers around !