Does my amp have enough juice to power my speakers?

Having just read a review in Stereophile of my Audio Physic Step Plus speakers (which I have to my utter dismay ,knocked over and dinged AAAgh!), the author states that his Shindo Haut-Briton Power amp (20wpc) couldn't drive the Step Plusses and states that nothing less than 35Wpc could drive them.  My dilemma is that I have a Line Magnetic 216 IA rated at 22Wpc that sometimes sounds heavenly and on other days sounds eeh.  Do I need an amp with more boost?  

udog
This day to day variation should be addressed first, it's probably wall current fluctuations.
I agree - if the first watt is no good why bother with more of them. But we are talking about good first watt and the possibility of many more of them good ones.
Yeah, with some music you need a lot of power.
My speakers are 89db and 8ohm, or so they say, and I tried 60 watt/ch and 120 watt/ch solid state amps. Medium size room. With more powerful and more high current amp it is significantly better at any loudness level and much better at high level. I would think that doubling the power would be the first step, not ten times, that's a little extreme.
More power is better, nary a chance of clipping at all.
 You will thank me if you decide to get new sepakers, having an ap which is capable of driving a variety of sepakers is paramount!

i used to run guitar amps as power amps, they were great, smooth, no stress at all.
i had two Carvin Dcm-2000 maps on bridge mono, running a pair of CV d-9’s and altec Lansing m510’s

greatbsound.

power is your friend, better to have it, than wish you had it.
Horns such as the classic Klipsch  can sound excellent .The Key
is getting rid of the stock crossover and putting in Quality 
capacitors, inductors,resistors and wiring . A Night and Day
better more coherent speaker . This too applies to most speakers ,
especially under $10k. I have been modding Loudspeakers and 
electronics a Loong time and a pretty accurate statement.