Bill Legall-MillerSound speaker driver repair

I just wanted to share a wonderful experience I had with Bill Legall from Millersound with everyone.

I had purchased a pair of pretty rare, no longer made, (the company is gone) full range, single driver speakers from a guy and knew going in that he had damaged one of the drivers by hooking up an amp that was emitting a little bit of DC in one channel. Needless to say, it completely froze the driver solid.

I was told that these weren’t repairable and were really designed to be replaced and not repaired. Enter Bill and Millersound. I told him what happened and he said he could surely fix it, but it might not a “perfectionist” job because of the custom nature of the driver. I told him that knowing his reputation, they would probably be as close to perfect as possible.

Well, I just got the driver back and I was wrong. This thing IS PERFECT! I mean you can’t tell it from the other original driver and it sounds SUPERB!!

I, (along with several others) have recommended Bill many times here on this forum, but I have never needed his services, until now. Man, am I glad I took my own advice. If anyone needs a speaker repaired I give Bill and Millersound my highest recommendation.

He has my business forever…
128x128mofimadness
I guess it’d be nice if someone could help me mediate this situation?

i am not trying to bully I just honestly am not sure how to deal with a business or adults that send emails like the ones I have received.

i have never experienced anything quite like this in my adult life and I am uncertain as to why I get snide remarks from Mr. L? I do not hold him responsible for the damage. But what has happened SINCE the damage has been rather upsetting.

its been very odd the emails I have received back from them (I have even been told not to email them on Sundays and Mondays which I would not do if I knew that was something they prefered but I have never ever had anyone ever tell me not to email them and I’ve certainly never been told/asked not to email on certain days?)

And I do not understand why this damage is such a big deal anyways if the item was shipped via UPS with insurance? UPS is who I fault and they should pay. And I hope that Millersound did not have to pay.

It would have have been helpful though, if the damage initially occurred when I shipped the item, to have been alerted to that damage so we could have bugged UPS then as I too shipped with Insurance. 

If like Mr. L says there was some minor damage a chip or nick there before he started working on it then a few off bumps in shipping it back to me could cause a nick to become a crack. The mount plates are plastic after all. 

Well i I always get great advice from these forums. This is why I went to Millersound in the first place. 

Im not a bad guy. I’m sure they are not bad people. The odd communications I have had have upset me and that is why I am here asking and letting you know what’s up.

i would have called them myself but I gathered from early communications that they seem like people who don’t want to be bothered...so I tried to keep my communications text-based. Maybe that was a bad decision on my part.

oh well. Did my best for my first piece of gear ever sent out for repair and it came back damaged.

ill have a really great pair of Infinity 9Kappas for sale soon.

best,
brett
I have also used Bill. I have a pair of Krell LAT 1 speakers. I had a preamp serviced locally what a mistake hooked everything up turned it on and smoked all six 8 inch woofers. Contacted Scan Speak and everyone I could for months, no replacement speakers new or used available anywhere. I was referred to Miller sound from 2 different companies in  search of new or used speakers. When I contacted him he was a perfect gentleman I sent my speakers to him within two weeks I had them back and Thay looked perfect  could not tell they were repaired in any way. He used all the original material on the speakers and they sound every bit as good if not better then the second pair of LAT 1s I have. I am so thankful to Bill and Miller Sound for saving my speakers. You’re a Gem.  Many thanks Bill. Russell.
Last December I had an Eton 7-380-32HEXy mid driver from a Legacy Audio Signature III fail.  Long out of production now and with no parts still available, everyone I spoke to told me find as close a replacement as I could as repairing it wasn't possible.  Then I spoke to Bill, he told me he thought he could repair it but it might be tricky saving the parts to re-use. Two weeks, $85 + shipping later and visually I can't tell it was ever apart and sonically I can't tell it was ever repaired.  My Signature III's live on Thanks to Bill! Many Thanks to him for his excellent work and quick service.  
I don't know this person looking for "World Class Service" but he can't see the Forest for the Trees. Bill LeGall has worked on Three sets of Alon  10" woofers as soon as i got the first set back and re-installed them in my speakers the sound was just incredible , I called him right away and asked him what he did to the woofers to sound so much better , and of course the Gentleman he is  explained the science of Dampening, Balancing ,etc. and went on to say " when the Bass sounds right everything sounds right. on the second set i purchased them here on GOON and had the seller send them straight to Bill the speakers arrived damaged the the metal cage got bent out of shape so Mr. World Class listen here , at no extra charge Bill stripped down the speakers took the Cages to his friends machine shop perfectly straightened out the cages rebuild the speakers new coils,cones etc. AT NO ADDITIONAL COST, TO ME THIS IS WORLD CLASS SERVICE. THANK YOU BILL,LORETTA  ( Carlo Lupo, IntegrityHiFi )
I've recently had the tremendous good fortune to meet Bill and Loretta Legall.  For just a moment, let's forget about speaker repair - just for a moment.  I'm lucky, I live a short drive away, so I met them, visited with them.  And I can confirm without a bit of hesitation, they are a treasure. 

Bill has that very rare combination of passion for what he does, and for the people he works for, along with an absolute and consummate knowledge of his craft.  He is the Jedi Master of speaker repair.  And the true secret to his success is that he does what he does for the love of it, and not for the money.  For the love of what he provides for his customers, for the next level quality he can give you. 

Bill may not be the most sophisticated businessman in the world (if he was, he'd charge 2-3x his normal price) and I can see how his email skills may not be on par with what some might expect.  So objectively, it's no surprise that in all the transactions he's done, a problem occurred, a customer was not happy, and an email-only communication effort couldn't solve it.  The sad thing is, Bill's impeccable and well deserved reputation takes a hit.  So be it, we all move on. 

Back to speakers.  I had an old pair of ADS L1290's that I saved all my pennies forever for, way back in the day.  Been sitting in my basement for decades and almost tossed them in a dumpster a year ago.  My 18 yo son recently renewed my interest in hifi through vinyl so I hunted down a vintage Pioneer SX-1250 in perfect condition out in Chicago, did a 25 hour marathon road trip, got that beast home and  dusted off the old speakers...and promptly blew them up. 

Found Bill online, called and got an appointment, threw the speakers in my truck and dropped them off. A week later he called and said come and get em.  What he didn't tell me was that ADS had glued the drivers into the cabs and that he was afraid to pry them out for fear he'd ruin the boxes, so he actually rebuilt the drivers in place!  I still have no idea how he did it.  He also touched up all the scratches and made them look practically new.  Well, they've never sounded so good.  And the price he charged for all the work he did was less than I spent to take my wife to dinner that night. 

I'm headed to see Bill tomorrow to pick up a mint pair of JBL L100t's I just acquired and I can not wait to hear those puppy's sing after Bill works his magic. 

One last thing, Loretta is Bill's soul partner and they are one.  There is neither without the other, you can just tell that.  It's a true joy to see them together.  You know, we meet people throughout our lives that impact us in positive ways we can't explain, and we can't forget.  Bill and Loretta are that kind of people.  Forget the speakers, I am just lucky to have met such wonderful folks.