BUSTED: UK company is raided for fake vinyl production

This is pretty interesting:

https://www.securingindustry.com/fake-vinyl-record-pressing-plant-busted-in-uk/s112/a8989/#.XEXrXVxK...

I wonder how much start-up costs there were with this and what their return on investment would be?  Seems to me, this is a very hard way to make money...
128x128mofimadness
Here's a few 1-copy-wonders (literally only 1 copy known)...
  • Son House "Clarkesdale Moan" (found c.2008)
  • Blind Joe Reynolds "Cold Woman Blues" (found c.2000)
  • Jaydee Short "Tar Road Blues" (found c.2015)
  • Charlie Patton "Jim Lee Blues Pt2" (poor condition)

The list goes on and on. We're lucky to have ANY copies at all if it weren't for the excavation and tenacity of great Blues-hounds. All the above are owned by John Tefteller, he shares the audio on his calendar CDs, so big thanks to John.

Anyway, "Northern Soul" is a genuine mine-field and really best left for only the most knowledgeable ... these criminals knew their targets perfectly.
As an interesting, and Hi-Fi related, aside concerning Skip James ...
John Peel (the most important British DJ of all time) had a small section of his late evening show called "The Pig's Big 78" ("The Pig" being his affectionate name for his wife who enjoyed original 78s).I heard live, at the time, first-hand - so I can swear this is TRUE...
Anyway, he first played a Paramount Skip James track that had been respectfully (and professionally) mastered on a proper re-issue label.He then said something like "OK, that was the CD, but *I* have an original copy - which I know is worth a LOT* of money - here it is..."
* No kidding. The last Skip James original Paramount I know of sold for "over $10,000" in early 2000's (closer to $20k I suspect).

The point here was that the original was UNBELIEVABLY natural and clear and simply "alive". It blew away the (well made) CD master.I noticed this instantly.
It was like Skip was literally singing right there in my room, so present. John Peel commented also on this. How amazing the original sounded over the CD and many, many, many people wrote in saying they could not believe how much better the 78 sounded. No-one knew why.
Something to be said in favour of that long-forgotten medium perhaps?
I still wonder why it sounded so much better than the CD ... but it DID, please believe me. Peel says he had same experience on many other 78s.

Weren’t pre-war 78’s recorded live-to-disc? There were no tape recorders available for the recording of music until after WWII (the Germans invented the recorder for tricking the Allies, "time shifting" fake news), and direct-to-disc LP’s remain the highest fidelity music sources I’ve ever heard.

Elvis Presley’s five Sun Records singles (1955-6) were recorded to tape, and offered on both 10" 78’s and 7" 45 RPM discs. They were distributed in only the southern states, and are worth some money in excellent condition. But not being direct-to-disc, they are not that rare, nor that good sounding in pure audiophile terms. But musically, awesome! A Blues on one side, a Hillbilly on the other. Elvis, guitarist Scotty Moore, upright bassist Bill Black (and later drummer D.J. Fontana, plucked out of a band that performed behind burlesque "dancers" ;-), and Sun Records owner and recording engineer Sam Phillips invented Rockabilly.

Indeed, these records were cut direct-to-disc.
The process used was beautifully demonstrated and filmed on the recent American Epic PBS documentary, URL here

https://www.pbs.org/wnet/american-epic/
Look under "American Epic Sessions". This shows modern day artists (like Jack White, Elton John etc) all recording direct-to-disc on 78rpm using the last surviving mastering machine of its type.