What do you mean you “heard” the turntable

I don’t get it. Maybe I just don’t have the biological tool set, but I read all the time how someone heard this turntable or that turntable and they comment on how much better or worse it sounded than some other TT, presumably their own or one they are very familiar with. 

Thing is, they are most likely hearing this set up on a completely different system in a completely different environment. So how can they claim it was the TT that made the difference?  The way “synergy“ is espoused around here how can anybody be confident at all considering how interdependent system interactions are. 

Can someone illuminate me?
last_lemming
I think maybe you didn’t read the original post. Nobody questions that one can hear differences. We are questioning how one can say they hear a new component in a new system and in a new room and contribute the qualities they are hearing specifically to that component and only that component and then recommended that component based on that unique situation. There’s no way to separate the wheat from the chaff.

The only true way to compare a component to another component is to have it done in the same room at the same time all other variables being equal.

When it comes to high-end audio we’re talking about the differences between a mearly great component and an outstanding component is only about 1%. That 1% is all based on nuances, so hearing a component in one room with a certain system and then trying to compare it to something in your room to your specific system makes no sense, there’s way too many variables at play to say this component is better in any significant way or worse in any significant way.

The only component you could begin to get any real sense of, in any meaningful way are speakers, because the differences are way grater between speakers than in any other component. But even then the room is 50% of the equation, so unless you hear a speaker in the same room, driven by the same electronics your thoughts about what you are hearing or greatly skewed.
@chakster Do you think the old Technics tonearm + old wiring and new Technics SL-1200G tonearm + new wiring are equal ?
The fit and finish of the 1200G is far superior to the 1600 and older 1200. The 1200G is also much heavier and solidly built.

Unlike the old 1200, the 1600 was not a DJ table. I purchased my 1600 in 1985 while stationed in Germany for $249. It’s still going strong in my rec room system. The 1200G is in my music listening room. The 1200G’s SQ is in a completely different class.

I think the platter on the new Technics is much better damped, the DD motor is coreless compared to the old inferior motor, footers and the whole plinth are completely different etc
Agreed. I’m quite happy with the 1200G. So far I’ve added a "better" power cord and a Funk Firm Achromat 1200 mat. I just ordered the KAB tonearm damping system. Not sure if I’ll want anything more.
I don't understand the attraction of vinyl.  Compared to digital, you only hear a fraction of the detail.  I also can't believe you can hear any difference between a $500 turn table verses a $20,000 turn table.  I thought the difference is in the quality of the cartridge.  However, even if you buy the most expensive cartridge, digital is always going to sound better.
The room is 50% of the equation????  Where did that number come from???  I thought your original post was rhetorical but maybe it was not.

Enjoy the ride
Tom
Really? We’re gonna bicker about exact %’s in a subjective context? Audiogon in true fashion. Fine, replace “50%” with “significant” if that makes you feel better.

The point, which should be obvious by the original statement, is the room contributes “significantly” to the speakers sound, so comparing in different rooms could give different presentations.

And the question wasn’t rhetorical, I asked for responses.