Ribbon tweeters...out of favor these days?

Hi,

Just a quick question about ribbon tweeters on tower speakers. Has the technology with metal dome and fabric dome tweeters produced results that obviate the need for or advantage of ribbon tweeters. I know that some manufactures such as VMPS and Legacy still seem to favor ribbons, at least as a super tweeter.

But I have been researching speakers, and it seems most of the mid to upper line brands such as B&W, Thiel, Vandersteen, Eggleston, and others employ some type of dome tweeter.

What are the relative advantages/disavantages of each type for a 50/50 mix of music and home theater?
mtrot
Most of the speakers being discussed, do not have ribbon tweeters, they have planer magnetic tweeters, very different!

regards,
In speaking with one speaker manufacturer who had worked with ribbon tweeters, I was told that while they may sound excellent in and of themselves, they are extremely difficult to integrate with a pistonic (cone) woofer.
That said, the LSA1 Statement monitor, which has been very well reviewed, uses a ribbon tweeter.
Ribbon and ribbon-like tweeters are "faster" in that they can produce extended ultrasonic frequencies. The questions to ask are, how important are ultrasonics, and are they in the recording?

Ribbons/planars typically have a rising response or peak in the mid/upper treble. This response is often favored by those with some high-end hearing loss.

Ribbons typically have higher levels of distortion, interpreted positively as detail and speed, or negatively as etched and "too hi-fi."
Thee debate of Ribbons and Domes they both have their +&-
The new Raal Amorphous core is the best ribbon out there they have the actual specs avaialble on their page which have been verified .Very clean fast and dynamic .
I have compared these to a great tweeter such as the hand made Hiquphon tweeters which are only 3/4 " BTW Salk , Devore and a few others use them .In the past fried used them they are super balanced with superior dispersion.THe dome especaily these are great even 60 degrees off axis ,were a ribbon is much more directional .The smaller tweeter does not have the range down to 2k but with a good mid driver to Xover at around 2.5 k that is not a problem great dispersion and under .5 distortion per matched pair.
The Ribbon is more airy and open and inner detail is a little better .For rock and roll the dome is clearly better
mainly because of it's more flexibility off axis and imaging can be slightly better on the leading edge with a dome , it all comes down to preference and implementation of the Xover and drivers used in the application.
The Raal I think is slightly better than the best dome for my taste ,BUT that is my preference .