Cartridge new or used ?

How do I know if a cartridge is new or used and number of hours played ? 1- If it is bought from an individual or 2- Could it be that a HiFi store sells used or a "Demo" without anyone knowing it? 3- Is a cartridge that remains on the shelf of the store for 3 or 4 years, retains its same performance or its internal parts, can harden and lose their flexibility of reading? 4- Is it easy with a magnifying glass to see the wear of a cartridge, if so what would be the best magnification to use?
audiosens
@clearthink, 

Your analogy of 'used underwear' smells a bit funny and frankly makes no sense. Stylus wear from normal use is very gradual, so with previously owned 'modern' cartridges the risk of damaging your records is negligable. It seems to me some people are way too sensitive about this.

Perhaps I don't take this so seriously because 99,9% of my vinyl collection consists of previously owned records, originating from the 50's, 60's and 70's. Any idea what normal people in those days used as 'turntables'? I remember our own family record player, one of those ugly jobs with a plastic 'tonearm' you had to pull to the right in order to start the 'motor'. It had some sort of headpiece (where we now expect to see a cartridge) that came equipped with the facility of 'flipping' over the stylus after a certain number of hours of play (these were sapphire you see, not diamond). You were also supposed to manually bring the stylus into the groove, preferably without dropping it. Armlift? Tracking force gauge? Yeah right. I even remember a coin attached to the headpiece to get sufficient (5 gram? 10 gram? nobody knew or cared) downforce to keep the stylus in the groove. 

It's really a miracle so many copies actually survived these crude devices and the 'non-audiophile' lifestyles that usually came with it. Not only that, we cherish them for amazing sound quality even the best audiophile reissues cannot approach. Are you really worried these records will be damaged from being played by a slightly worn modern diamond stylus with some advanced profile?

Schubert, that is sweet! You will be happy for a while.

I buy used. Listening with a FR-1 Mk 3f as I type. Try finding one new. 

Wanting a used cartridge is like wanting to eat used food. Not my choice. ‘Nuff said.
What is it with all the wet necks and used cartridges!
Use your head and common sense when shopping and you will be fine. Remember that one, common sense, that's right the least common of all senses nowadays it seems!
I have bought and sold many used cartridges here and on eBay.
There still are a LOT of very honest people in this hobby.
How else is one to try and acquire and use some of the better vintage mm carts apart from taking the plunge and buying used?

If you do not want to take a chance personally that's fine but do NOT denigrate the process as a whole!