OPPO Sonica DAC to Lumin D2 Upgrade

I’m considering an upgrade from an OPPO Sonica DAC to a Lumin D2.  I’m generally satisfied with the OPPO sound and appreciate its simplicity of use (there is little doubt that it’s an absolute bargain at its price point).   

However, I briefly owned an Aurender A10 and found that it provided marginally better sound over the OPPO at a significantly higher cost.  Its only benefit, in addition to Aurender’s decent user app, was it’s on-board storage which was of little benefit to me.  So once again I’m considering an upgrade-this time at a more affordable level.   I prefer a unit that has similar functionality to the Sonica DAC.  

My basic question is this:  how much of a sonic improvement might I expect going from the Sonica DAC to the D2?  Also, how good is Lumin’s user app when used with Tidal streaming?  My OPPO was $799, the D2 lists for $2300.    The streamer/Dac (w/Tidal) will function as my sole source feeding a Belles Aria integrated and PMC twenty5.22 speakers.  I’ve found the Aria/PMC combo to be wonderfully satisfying and they will not be subject to change for the foreseeable future.  Any thoughtful advice will be much appreciated.
jreale
jreale we are a Lumin dealer with the D2 on display and our findings mirror everyone who has gotten the D2.

For the money the D2 is very hard to beat, the D2 blew away the Cambridge Audio 851N which is a very well respected streamer. 

The Lumin sound is very organic and engaging the app is great and you have Roon compatibility add to that constant firmware updates new sources and features, and a very reliable product with Tidal, Qbozz, Internet radio and you have the world of high quality music at your feet.

Dave and Troy
Audio Doctor NJ Lumin Dealers
I've owned a Ric Schultz modified Oppo DVD player for more than 10 years and it is still going strong. If I already had a Sonica, and wanted to upgrade, I would send it to Ric and let him do his thing.

EVS Homepage - http://tweakaudio.com

@jreale you can try out the LUMIN app interface without having a LUMIN device, and as shown in this photo the Tidal integration works the same way as playing music from your local music server.

The OPPO Sonica remains an incredible bargain considering everything you got at that price point, and it is unfortunate OPPO's personal audio business was discontinued. Which also means it won't get upgrades for direct integration with newer music services.

I think you should try and hear the D2's analog output for yourself because you may prefer the OPPO sound character. I do think the LUMIN app user experience is superior.