Watts, and clarity.

Is it still true that all other things equal in a stereo system, that watts do more to clarify sound quality, than watts to to increase decibel output?, or has newer technology changed this? I used to hear that it takes ten times the watts to double the decibel output "all other things in the stereo system being equal". This was back in the 80’s that I heard this. I also remember hearing that it took 24, 400 watt power amps to reproduce the sound of scissors snapping without cutting of the sound wave on an oscilloscope. Is this true?
rickytickytwo
Anyway at about 6:06 into the video Bob Carver discusses his friend that did the testing.

So a video of Bob Carver in the 1980's saying he heard from some guy .... :)

Credible claims tend to be reproduced, especially when they end up in selling bigger, more expensive equipment. On top of that, we have our own experience, and that of many other audiophiles here. If power were the limiting factor for accuracy I think we'd hear more of it.

Based on age, lack of detailed description of the experiment, and lack of corroboration of a very easy to duplicate claim this claim does not pass my smell test.

As with all things in science and engineering, I leave the door open to more research.

Best,
E
Some guy. Are you kidding? Bob Carver is a genius and do you think he would actually make that crap  up? Are you kidding? Yes credibility is important and you would think someone with critical thinking skills would understand the pitfalls of bullshit. I have personally heard 1000 watts per side and it was surreal. It was just an Onkyo Super Integra power amp with two homemade 18" subwoofers with passive crossovers, and a pair of 9 Kappas from Infinity. Nothing has ever compared. It was so clean that You could have a conversation without raising your voice. I was just wondering if new technology had made a difference. I guess I should ask Paul from PS audio and not people here.
Post removed