Watts, and clarity.

Is it still true that all other things equal in a stereo system, that watts do more to clarify sound quality, than watts to to increase decibel output?, or has newer technology changed this? I used to hear that it takes ten times the watts to double the decibel output "all other things in the stereo system being equal". This was back in the 80’s that I heard this. I also remember hearing that it took 24, 400 watt power amps to reproduce the sound of scissors snapping without cutting of the sound wave on an oscilloscope. Is this true?
rickytickytwo
Orpheus10, 
Well stated. Power will not adequately substitute  for a lack of needed quality. If it were simply about increased power then every manufacturer would just produce 1000 watt amplifiers and the  "clarity"  issue is resolved.
Charles 
Sorry for not being clearer about the source of the "scissors" snap. I got this from a video on Youtube called "Miss Hologram". I would cut and paste it for you but I am on my Mom's computer and she has an easy set up because she is not tech savvy. I actually cannot copy and paste with it. Anyway at about 6:06 into the video Bob Carver discusses his friend that did the testing. WARNING, the video is extremely corny, it was the early 80's after all and this was when he was drumming up business for his second company, Carver Corp. 

As far as amps go, I already have some Carver m-4 t's that sound great as long as the impedance of the speakers does not dip below 4 ohms.
Thanks for the responses, although judging the context there are some who may not understand "all other things in a stereo system being equal."

Let me second that Eric is a pretty swell guy. I think @clearthink confused him with someone else or someone woke up on the wrong side of the bed. Coffee time. ☕️

All the best,
Nonoise