Turntables

I am kicking the idea of trying out vinyl. It’s been a long time since I had a turntable and it took a lot of thought whether I can deal with what always seemed like the snap, crackle & pops of an album. Anyway, I’ve decided to take a plunge after all the buzz how awesome it is. Of course before I make any final decisions, I always turn to the Audiogon community for their expert thoughts, opinions and education. I’m also looking for suggestions for a nice affordable table with tone arm and cartridge. Being the fact this is new to me and I may hate it, I’m looking for suggestions on the best affordable set up I can do for a new or used in the price range of $1000/$1500. I’m sure I can get a better bang for the buck going used. I just don’t know anything about these animals. My system is older but I still enjoy it which consist of a Mark Levinson 23.5 amp, Proceed AVP 2+6 used for 2 channel audio, Audio Acoustics model 9 speakers, Ayre DAC for digital with Transparent Audio Ultra mm2 cables. Any input is greatly appreciated!
128x128luvrockin

Since you don't know anything about turntables, it would only make sense for you to buy new, with the cartridge of your choice installed, on their arm.

Rega has models in your price range what ever it may be, excluding the most expensive mega buck tables; order and enjoy, no adjustments to be made.
I will recommend the Technics SL-1200GR.  It has the latest direct drive technology and has outstanding reviews from both actual users and the industry press.
I agree with dhJohnson, get the technics.  On top of being a great TT, it is a wonderful way to learn how to set up and adjust a TT without the use and expense of a bunch of special tools.  On the other hand if by some chance you  hate vinyl, the GR will sell quick. 
@vegasears what special tools you mention? Also, is the cartridge installed on the Rega’s and GR or separate? What’s better, direct drive or belt drive? Also, what the thought on usb or does that defeat the analog benefit?
Cartridge/Arm scale for proper VTF and shims to lower/rise tone arm pivot for proper cartridge alignment.  also note the GR has a removal head shell easy mounting and changes.   DD  or  BD  Which is better?  Both function good, one has a large rubber band called a "Belt" the other does not and both type will spin at the selected speed.  USB that's for computers and such. My best advice do lots of online forum research.