What unknown musical artist would you like to share with your fellow audiophiles?

When it comes to music, about half of my friends are "collectors" and the other half are true audiophiles. It seems the collectors are so obsessed with the size of their collections, that they leave no room in their budget for quality audio equipment. I think the audiophiles, with their focus on quality over quantity, are the ones with their priorities straight. So, unless you are on an unlimited budget, I'm guessing that audiophiles are more selective in their musical purchases. That being the case, I'm curious about what "buried treasures" have you been able to find? Thanks for responding and I look forward to discovering some good music, based on your suggestions.

I'll lead off with the band Crack The Sky, most notably their first two albums: "Crack The Sky" (1975) and "Animal Notes" (1976). I would describe them as a cross between Be Bop Deluxe and Frank Zappa. Their music is unique and totally unmistakable with anyone else. Choice cuts from the debut album are: "Ice;" She's a Dancer;" "Mind Baby" & "Sleep." Choice cuts from Animal Notes are: "Animal Skins;" "Wet Teenager;" Virgin....No" & "Maybe I Can Fool Everybody."
mitchagain
bdp24, Don Dixon's influence on "modern" music is solid, no doubt. I think you would really enjoy that album. As you would expect, great lyrics as well. 
@mitchagain
1) I’ve been very disappointed with the current music of the 21st century. ... So, I was interested in how many responses mentioned current music versus music from the 20th century.
I know what you mean. But there are some recent gems out there. Depends what your tastes are. For this crowd, some that may be accessible are:

Guitar-oriented:
  • Nick Johnston - Remarkably Human (may be the best electric guitar album in 30 years)
  • Buckethead - Electric Sea (almost everything by Buckethead is exceptional, but this is a mellow powerhouse)
  • Estas Tonne - Live at Odeon (2011) (classical with Gypsy influences)
  • Schzoid - ABCh (Schzoid is a metal band, but the guitarist put out a classical guitar album, and for some reason kept the Schzoid name)

Electronic:
  • Cualli - The Monk of Chunk (as an audiophile, if you want to show off your system this is it ... especially the song Tiger Prowl)

Doom metal:
  • Trees of Eternity - Hour of the Nightingale (a stunning masterpiece that’s accessible even for non-metal-heads; as a metal-head it’s my album of the millennium)

Black metal (but not really):
  • Xanthrochroid - Of Erthe and Axen Part I (they're listed as black metal because their previous album is, but this one is really a cinematic, symphonic something-or-other. But it isn’t black metal because I hate black metal and I wouldn’t list it unless I thought it was accessible for some here; extremely varied songs, so don’t play the first song and think that’s what the whole album sounds like)
???:
  • Eternity Forever - Fantasy (this is the happiest sounding album I’ve heard, but I don’t have a clue what genre ... a little pop, a little jazz, a little R&B)
  • David Maxim Micic - ECO (mostly progressive rock, avant-garde)
Binger the Voyager, Sweet Taste of Nothing

Dreamy Euro progressive space-pop, Depeche Mode fans would probably love it. Can usually be found for peanuts on Amazon.
I would nominate Darrell Scott, the singer songwriter from Nashville who writes passionate and personal songs and is an amazing singer...oh yes, he is also one of the greatest acoustic guitarists on the planet.  He does not fit a genre so is undervalued in my mind. 

2017's Live From the Station Inn is a great place to start.  So is his 2000 collaboration with Tim O'Brien (another candidate for recommendation too) Real Time which I would say is the quintessential album of American music I have ever heard...folk, gospel, rock, country--it's all there. . 

A new find definitely worth checking out is a Australian Band called The Teskey Brothers. I heard them this last month and immediately went looking for their new CD release and purchased, you won't be disappointed! Enjoy