Classical Music for Aficionados

I would like to start a thread, similar to Orpheus’ jazz site, for lovers of classical music.
I will list some of my favorite recordings, CDs as well as LP’s. While good sound is not a prime requisite, it will be a consideration.
  Classical music lovers please feel free to add to my lists.
Discussion of musical and recording issues will be welcome.

I’ll start with a list of CDs.  Records to follow in a later post.

Berlioz: Symphonie Fantastique.  Chesky  — Royal Phil. Orch.  Freccia, conductor.
Mahler:  Des Knaben Wunderhorn.  Vanguard Classics — Vienna Festival Orch. Prohaska, conductor.
Prokofiev:  Scythian Suite et. al.  DG  — Chicago Symphony  Abbado, conductor.
Brahms: Symphony #1.  Chesky — London Symph. Orch.  Horenstein, conductor.
Stravinsky: L’Histoire du Soldat. HDTT — Ars Nova.  Mandell, conductor.
Rachmaninoff: Symphonic Dances. Analogue Productions. — Dallas Symph Orch. Johanos, cond.
Respighi: Roman Festivals et. al. Chesky — Royal Phil. Orch. Freccia, conductor.

All of the above happen to be great sounding recordings, but, as I said, sonics is not a prerequisite.

128x128rvpiano
Volodos, Mompou.

Wonderful!  Incredible touch in the soft passages.

Very natural piano sound, tremendous dynamic contrasts.
Tonight: Dvorak piano concerto.  I can't imagine there can be much better ambassadors for a piece than Sviatoslav Richter and Carlos Kleiber.  That being said, I think I see why it hasn't caught on more--not as inspired, or at least not as catchy, as the Grieg or the Tchaikovsky, for example.  Still, a very pleasant listen; soundstage quite distant.
twoleftears, glad you liked this CD. After recommending something its nice to hear that some one tried it out and agreed.

FWIW, although this is not part of this thread we have discussed its elsewhere recently in another thread and I thought perhaps you would like to know. Re soundstaging and the appearance of sound occurring outside of your speakers, this occurs from the presence of 'out of phase' sounds in the recording. For a similar affect, listening to a TV with or without a audiophile set up involved, especially with out, you often hear ambient noises (doors slamming, planes, cars going by etc) coming from all about your room. This is the same out of phase information. The effect is very similar to what you might hear if you were to just reverse the cable connectors on one set of speakers in your system, i.e. you get sound from all about you, but have no focused center image. 
Gottschalk anyone?

I just purchased a new Gottschalk (and Cuba) for solo piano by Antonio Iturrioz on the Steinway label (I love this label for its solo piano music compilations!) Nice disc but not so much for the Gottschalk unless you want a ’slow and dreamy’ one.

But this disc caused me to get out a pair of Gottschalk’s CD I haven’t listened to in a while, a CD (Vol 1) "The Banjo", dedicated to solo piano music by performed by Eugene List and Vol 2 "A Night in the Tropics" which includes the Grande Tarantelle performed by List, Maurice Abravanel and the Utah State Orchestra and more music for solo piano by List.

Outstanding music! I recommend it, especially if you like lively music more than sleep. FWIW I think List owns this music! This is an old set of recordings re-mastered for CD. Good, but not SOTA by any means. But, truly, it really is about this music.